Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Oriental short hair
08-10-2007, 12:49 PM   #1

OSH kitten peeing on bed - any thoughts

Hi, I'm new here and I stumbled on the site by looking for answers for the problem stated above. After a 5 year hiatus I decided to get a cat again and have recently gotten an OSH lilac kitten. I've done my research thoroughly beforehand and most breeders recommended getting 2 cats if we were out of the house a lot as orientals/siamese can feel lonely and misbehave when they do.
I've had Leeloo for almost 2 weeks now and she is almost 18 weeks old. She was litter trained when I got her and behaved SOOOO well on the trip: not a wee or a poop during the whole 7hrs trip back from the breeders. She's been using the litter box regularly... a real dream.
Unfortunately, Thursday she peed on the clean laundry basket and on Friday, on my son's bed. The weekend was OK as we were all home most of the time but today she did it again: waited till my son got home from school at lunch time and as soon as he opened his room door, she went on the bed.
I am wondering if that is the misbehaving due to boredom that was mentioned ? I'm getting her a playmate but not until October 25th.... I'm afraid she is going to make a habit of it and then I won't be able to break her out of it...

Any suggestions/insights ??? Getting the down comforters washed is neither easy, convenient or cheap....

Thanks for your insights. Anna

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
08-10-2007, 01:09 PM   #2

Re: OSH kitten peeing on bed - any thoughts

Hi Anna - welcome to Catsey (and sorry you join us with a problem )
Could Leeloo have a urinary infection? That is the first thing to consider with inappropriate urination. Or maybe, as she is getting heavier, her litter is no longer comfortable underfoot? I can't imagine walking barefoot over scratchy shingle to go for a wee - some hard litters must feel like that under a kitten's feet.
She could be stressed but hopefully not. A Feliway diffuser might help, or a drip of Bachs Rescue Remedy.
Here's a recent thread from someone with a similar problem http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=23859 and I'm sure other Catsey members will be along with their thoughts soon.
Good luck

08-10-2007, 01:54 PM   #3

Thanks for the quick answer...
I've read the other thread and see that mine is not a unique case... I don't know whether to be relieved or depressed..
I have an appointment at the vets on Wednesday morning so I will have a potential urinary track infection checked but she looks in great form so I don't think that's it.

She's got two litter boxes with two different types of litter to chose from: one is a self-cleaning automatic litter box with clumping litter, very soft but a little smelly.. (was very disappointed with that one! ) and the other one is a normal box with the crystal litter... harder but no smell as I remove all solids everyday.

I'm still hoping it's just a matter of feeling lonely all day long and that the arrival of her playmate will solve that..
I've ordered some Feliway and cannot wait till it gets here... we'll see

Anna

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 cats
08-10-2007, 02:40 PM   #4

To my shame I had a pair of rescue kittens that used to wee and poo on my bed all the time. I tried for six months but ended up taking them back with the hope that they could be rehomed to a farm or somesuch. I would take them out in the morning go back to bed and they would run back through the cat flap jump on to my bed then pee and poo even when I was in it! They had two litter trays access to the outside but I just couldn't stop them.

Sorry not being very helpful here it was a very low moment for me because I decided I would never have another cat after that experience but thankfully I now have my lovely Rosie and gorgeous little Alfie who are great. Never ever had that problem with any other cat either.

Nobody at the rescue had heard of the problem and I was never offered any advice from either them or my vet.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
08-10-2007, 09:14 PM   #5

Hi Anna
Looks like you have just about got all avenues sorted. Just a thought though.
I used to have a crystal litter, It crackled when the cats went for a pee and startled one quite a bit. Is it that kind? Could be poor wee kitty is afraid of the litter and gets caught short .
Good luck for Wednesday.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Owned BY Bubbles & Fizz (fem dsh)
08-10-2007, 10:42 PM   #6

I was thinking about this and can only really agree with the others about trying different litters. Another thought occurred to me and I wonder how confusing it is for a cat to have more than one litter tray (especially with different litters in). Is it possible to shut her in the room with the tray/s for a few days until she cottons on?

Just a couple of thoughts

09-10-2007, 05:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jac
Hi Anna
Looks like you have just about got all avenues sorted. Just a thought though.
I used to have a crystal litter, It crackled when the cats went for a pee and startled one quite a bit. Is it that kind? Could be poor wee kitty is afraid of the litter and gets caught short .
Hi Jac, thanks for the reply...yes that would be the kind... she started peeing on the beds before I got this type of litter though... That's why I got it thinking that if I found the purforma litter box smelly, it must have been terrible for her. I found poos and pee in both so she still seems to be using both litter boxes.

09-10-2007, 05:45 AM   #8

Hi Grete and thanks for the advice. I can lock her in the biggest room that has the self-cleaning litter. I just thought it would be hard on her, beeing left alone for several hours in a row and on top of that confined to one room...

The cleaners to whom I brought my duvets to wash them told me that 90% of people brought their duvets in to clean (including his) because their cats had peed on them... According to him, cats seem to enjoy peeing on down comforters...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Owned BY Bubbles & Fizz (fem dsh)
09-10-2007, 05:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna
Hi Grete and thanks for the advice. I can lock her in the biggest room that has the self-cleaning litter. I just thought it would be hard on her, beeing left alone for several hours in a row and on top of that confined to one room...
Yeh I agree it's not an ideal or nice solution for her Was thinking outside the box (no pun intended!). Experimenting with different litters then is the best idea right now.

Hopefully when you get the other cat it will improve things drastically.

*hugs*

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
09-10-2007, 11:19 PM   #10

Have you asked the breeder what litter she was used to? It might be worth trying what ever that one was. I always send my kittens with a bag of the litter they are used to. Fran may be able to give some advice beacause I know she has said that siamese and orientals are very fussy about what litter they use. Try pm'ing her. Good luck.