Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: SHD x3 and LHD X1
29-08-2007, 06:58 PM   #1

URGENT Flea help!!!

I have just read Tinks thread and have a similar problem...

I took Oli to visit my uncle and his cat because I had to house-sit. Anyway, a couple of weeks later we noticed black bits on his bedding, so got some Frontline spot on. The vet told me I didn't need to spray the house because we hadn't actually seen any fleas. All of Oli's bedding and our own was washed on a 60 degree wash. Anyway, the Frontline didn't kill all the fleas (probably because we already had it in the furniture!) and four weeks later the vet suggested we treated him again. I did, but also sprayed the whole house with a household spray from the vets. It is now about three weeks later and he still has fleas! We comb him atleast twice a day and the last few days we have been finding up to five fleas a day on him.

I have ordered another household spray, but seem to be giving up all hope of getting rid of these horrid things.

Does anybody have any suggestions??? Help would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Tanya

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggy
29-08-2007, 07:14 PM   #2

Re: URGENT Flea help!!!

Do you have carpet Tanya? we had this problem with my oh old dog and we were spraying the house but he still kept getting fleas,in the end we borrowed a carpet steamer and steamed all the carpet and sofa and chairs,sprayed again after and used a different flea treatment on chip it worked.We were using frontline and it wasnt working,I think the other stuff we tried was called advantage or something like that not 100% sure.
Im not sure if it was the change in flea treatment or the steam cleaner that worked.
Hope you manage to get it sorted soon

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
29-08-2007, 07:28 PM   #3

The steam cleaner sounds a very good idea.
I hope you get this sorted - it's not nice having little visitors, is it?

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: SHD x3 and LHD X1
29-08-2007, 07:30 PM   #4

Thanks. I hate fleas!!

We have thought about changing the flea treatment. As we have ordered the household spray already, it may be best if we spray the house again and treat Oli with a different flea treatment. If that doesn't work we may have to have all the carpets and sofa cleaned! We have bought a 'pet' hoover just recently, so hopefully that will help

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
29-08-2007, 07:31 PM   #5

I was going to suggest trying another flea prep. Something like Stronghold? The steam cleaner does sound like a good idea. Good luck!