Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
29-08-2007, 04:47 PM   #1

Problem: Leia and Onyx!

I posted this in the Daily Thread, but thought I should move it so more people could see.....
http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=23411

It's post # 10 ......

Quote:
Bad day with the cats yesterday!! Onyx suddenly decided to come in with me after I'd fed her...came up on the porch before I could stop her, and Leia, who'd been dozing as usual, came instantly to life, rushed threateningly at her, bushed, growling and hissing!!! Onyx crouched down in a defensive pose with her back to the house step and hissed back, then dashed into the living room with both of us in hot pursuit...I grabbed Onyx and popped her out the porch door!! Took Leia quite a while to calm down and finally have her snack; kept sniffing and sniffing where Onyx had been. And I was worried that Onyx might have been so upset at what happened that she wouldn't come back; however that was an unnecessary worry as she was waiting for me on the steps this morning as affectionate as ever. I knew Leia was jealous but never thought she'd react that badly...
Don't know where to go from here with the introduction....
Any advice...???

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
29-08-2007, 04:51 PM   #2

Re: Problem: Leia and Onyx!

Have already replied DM but I wonder if you should get a Feliway and some rescue remedy, ready for the moment Onyx comes in to stay?
Also, you've seen me post before about the 'smell transfer'. After you've petted Onyx, transfer her smell to places in your house at cat-nose level. Pet Leia a bit, so Onyx's smell gets on Leia's coat .... maybe even furminate Onyx and leave the results somewhere Leia will come into contact?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
29-08-2007, 06:08 PM   #3

Well what a step forward Eileen, that Onyx feels so relaxed with you to venture into the house It was always going to be difficult I think introducing these two girls. Are you planning to keep Onyx as an indoor only cat too? or allow her to come in and out? I think the Feliway (which can take up to 30 days I think to work) is a good idea and the rescue remedy also. Have you the facility to keep Leia in a room whist allowing Onyx to have a sniff round your house and get familiar with the scent? and so that she doesn't feel threatened by Leia. Also Leia will then smell onyx's scent in the house later when she is let out. DM's furminator idea is a good suggestion too. Good luck Eileen but what progress! Do let us know how you get on...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
29-08-2007, 06:13 PM   #4

Sorry didn't read that thread on the day but have done now. What a brave girl Onyx is. Well done Dandy X
Think Dm and Fran give good advice sorry nothing to add. guess it will take time

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggy
29-08-2007, 06:17 PM   #5

sorry Eileen I dont really have any adviseto offer but I just wanted to say well done,you have done a great job with her its great that Onyx is feeling confident enough to go into your home.I really hope you manage to sort things out soon

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
29-08-2007, 06:39 PM   #6

Well that is good news that Onyx has had the courage to venture into your house, Eileen but what a shame the first meeting between her and Leia was so stressful...

I suppose it was to be expected though, after all it is Leia's territory. Who knows, maybe this has broken the ice a bit and Leia will be a bit more interested in Onyx. The thing is now to takes things very slowly, you've had excellent advice from Fran and DM and I agree, getting Onyx's scent into the house will be the first step to introducing them properly...

You have come on in leaps and bounds with Onyx, you have gained her trust completely now. I think any one of us here would have had the same results if a 'strange' cat had walked into their house. But as we have seen many times on Catsey, there is usually a lot of spitting and hissing for a while after the first introduction but they all manage to live peacefully with each other in the end.

Good luck with them both Eileen, don't give up, you've done a marvellous job up to now... ((((hugs))))

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Orange Tabby
29-08-2007, 07:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran
Well what a step forward Eileen, that Onyx feels so relaxed with you to venture into the house It was always going to be difficult I think introducing these two girls. Are you planning to keep Onyx as an indoor only cat too? or allow her to come in and out? I think the Feliway (which can take up to 30 days I think to work) is a good idea and the rescue remedy also. Have you the facility to keep Leia in a room whist allowing Onyx to have a sniff round your house and get familiar with the scent? and so that she doesn't feel threatened by Leia. Also Leia will then smell onyx's scent in the house later when she is let out. DM's furminator idea is a good suggestion too. Good luck Eileen but what progress! Do let us know how you get on...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags
Well that is good news that Onyx has had the courage to venture into your house, Eileen but what a shame the first meeting between her and Leia was so stressful...

I suppose it was to be expected though, after all it is Leia's territory. Who knows, maybe this has broken the ice a bit and Leia will be a bit more interested in Onyx. The thing is now to takes things very slowly, you've had excellent advice from Fran and DM and I agree, getting Onyx's scent into the house will be the first step to introducing them properly...

You have come on in leaps and bounds with Onyx, you have gained her trust completely now. I think any one of us here would have had the same results if a 'strange' cat had walked into their house. But as we have seen many times on Catsey, there is usually a lot of spitting and hissing for a while after the first introduction but they all manage to live peacefully with each other in the end.

Good luck with them both Eileen, don't give up, you've done a marvellous job up to now... ((((hugs))))
I agree with you two. I had 2 cats when I was a young teenager. I had Precious first then I brought Misty into Precious's territory. It was ugly at first but it got better. What I did is, I kept Misty in the bathroom and I would only bring her out while I was able to watch the cats. If it started to get ugly I would either hold Misty or put her back in the bathroom for a little while, then let her out a little later. I kept doing that until they could get along. Wouldn't you know that they became best of buddies. The reason I chose the bathroom is because the litter box was in there. I hope that helped you some.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
29-08-2007, 07:52 PM   #8

Thanks all for your replys! I have already tried the fur from the comb/FURminator bit, and the rubbing of a towel with Onyx's scent around the house. I will order a Feliway and some rescue remedy tonight, hope it will help calm Leia down...I cannot believe how fierce she was!! And I'd very much like Onyx to be an indoor only cat. but having been used to going outdoors (or being outdoors!) I suspect she will want to go out; I don't like it but can live with it...
Leia has never been shut off in a room by herself; I guess I could put her in the bedroom for an hour or so while Onyx explored; but am afraid she might be unhappy at being locked away...
'Tis a problem.......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
29-08-2007, 07:59 PM   #9

I just replied to this on the daily thread here it is again nothing earth shattering though.
Eileen I think the less you panic the less Leia will get stressed - and what did I tell you Onyx will be in for the winter

Try maybe stroking Leia then stroking Onyx and vice versa so they each have their scent mixed with yours - I imagine it will settle down maybe never best of friends but sure a truce can be called.

What fantastic news would it not be nice if you could make Leia understand Onyx needs a home and will not be a threat to her and make Onyx understand Leia is slightly uneasy and a little jealous of you.

But we can't they are cats and so we go slowly slowly.
Sure it will work out for the best Eileen its fate.
Karen

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
29-08-2007, 08:00 PM   #10

Some very good advice there Eileen.
As you know it took me 6 months to introduce Bernie into our home with Eva.
Leia reminds me soo much of Eva and her temperament, its scarey
Just take things as fast as Leia will let you is my best advice. Scent transferance, feliway and rescue remedy will all help a great deal but take take it all very very slowly. So slow that leia hardly notices whats going on. As Leia and Onyx are fairly food orientated, do you have a mesh door? It may also be an idea to feed on either side of this, not too close to begin with but gradually moving closer so that they can see, hear and smell eachother. The more relaxe they both become about eating and being in view, the closer you can bring the food but at the slightest spat, move back a step.
Softly softly catchy monkey