Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Two Black Females,Mother & Daughte
24-08-2007, 09:47 AM   #1

Im Gazumped

We have just moved to a new house in a new area and have started letting my two female cats out. They have been going out for two weeks now. My two are Mother and daughter, Willem is two, Ftumpsh is one. There are a few other cats around the area. One in particular a large ginger tom is bullying Willem. Well i presume its bullying, they have both been spayed.....The problem is that Willem has now started bullying her daughter Ftumpsh. These two have been the best of friends up until now. Willem wont let her go near her, she bites and spits at her. Im at a loss. Lee my hubby reacons that Willem is taking her bullying out on Ftumpsh. Poor Ftumpsh dosent seem to know what is happening.
Does anyone have any suggestions?? Im considering seperating them for good if it continues and giving Willem away tho this will break my heart.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
24-08-2007, 10:36 AM   #2

Re: Im Gazumped

I agree with your husband..............it's redirected agression

If Willem is being intimidated by another cat she might start to feel threatened by all cats, including Ftumpsh, and take out her anger and aggression on her daughter.

Is there no way that you can scare off the ginger tom?? Maybe rush out into the garden when it appears, clapping your hands, or buy a water pistol and give it a squirt each time you see him. That should make him think twice about coming around your house, although you won't be able to stop him when you're not there.

I would also suggest reading the books by Vicky Halls, as she covers some situations similar to this and you might find some good advice there.

Please don't give up on them yet. It would be such a shame to give Willem away - after all she hasn't done anything wrong really, she is just reacting to the situation that she has now found herself in

Oh, also, try Rescue Remedy in their drinking water to help relax both cats and also I would suggest getting a Feliway plug in.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
24-08-2007, 10:47 AM   #3

I think Charlie has offered good advice. The only other suggestion I can come up with is the possibility of cat proofing your garden so that your cats can have access to it but other cats can't get in. Don't know if this would be an option for you?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
24-08-2007, 01:11 PM   #4

I agree with the very sound advice you have already received. Be patient, I'm sure things will work out.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
24-08-2007, 04:44 PM   #5

Can't add a thing to the good advice you've already been given....good luck!!!

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: moggys
24-08-2007, 05:08 PM   #6

i really do hope everything settles down with your girlies.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
24-08-2007, 05:25 PM   #7

I can understand the frustration - I have so many problems because of other neighbourhood cats....

You could keep them as indoor cats only so they do not "meet" other cats.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
24-08-2007, 05:58 PM   #8

It must be like having kids and them coming in a and picking on the younger ones. Excellent advice given by Charlie

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
25-08-2007, 04:29 PM   #9

How are things today?

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Two Black Females,Mother & Daughte
30-08-2007, 09:29 AM   #10

Thanks for all your advice. Its still the same sadly. Tho Ftumpsh has now started to fight back, bless her.

I will play the waiting game and see how we get on. Again thank you all....