Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Fabulous moggies!
17-08-2007, 08:48 AM   #1

Can I change my 6 month old on to adult food?

Scrabble who is nearly 6 months now seems to MUCH prefer Thomas's food (Thomas is 8 ), he even belts Thomas out the way to get to it then gollops it all up whereas he just kind of looks then tentatively picks at his own food!

Can I just stop giving Scrabble kitten food and put him on to the adult version now? He is thriving and perfectly healthy, although has the runs occasionally (could be the rich kitten food?).

Is it imperative to give a 6 month old actual "kitten" food or can I give them both the same now?

Thanks so much for any help anyone can offer.

Sarah xx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
17-08-2007, 08:50 AM   #2

Re: Can I change my 6 month old on to adult food?

Yes, it's perfectly ok to switch him to adult food and you may find, like you say, that his occasional runs will stop as adult food is not as rich as kitten food....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
17-08-2007, 08:51 AM   #3

He'll be fine on adult food.
There are a lot of posts on this subject and they all say the same - he prefers adult food!
Kitten food can give the runs.
Make sure you use a reasonable quality food though.

Catsey Senior

17-08-2007, 08:59 AM   #4

WOOHOOOO Brilliant thanks guys you are sooo helpful, I LOVE this forum

Yes I would definitely get a good quality, they both having Science Plan at the moment but I sometimes put Iams down for Thomas which is the one that Scrabble seems to go CRAZY over so might put them both on Iams (which I believe is a good quality?). I remember giving Thomas the James Wellbeloved once and he loved that. They don't get quite as excited about Science Plan for some reason, although it is one of the most expensive.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
17-08-2007, 09:09 AM   #5

I only know Wellbeloved of the ones you mention and personally think it is good. I use Burns, which my boys like. They'll send samples if you contact them http://www.burns-pet-nutrition.co.uk/cat_food.htm
A lot of people won't use Iams because there are claims that the maufacturers are cruel to animals in testing the products. You can google; I never have - don't like reading/seeing that sort of thing.
Sounds to me that Scrabble has really fallen on his feet in finding you!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
17-08-2007, 10:11 AM   #6

I've tried all the ones you mentioned above. Have to say mine don't go mad for Science plan either. All mine are now fed Royal Canin and love it!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 5 x rescue cats
17-08-2007, 10:29 AM   #7

My vet told me that Iams is quite high in salt - not good for the kidneys. I can't remember the numbers now but worth checking to see if salt content is listed.

My old lady has a sensitive stomach but is OK on Purina and Hills - Purina is available in reasonable size packs in most large supermarkets so might be easier than the Science plan.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
17-08-2007, 11:29 AM   #8

I've heard that a lot of cats get excited about some foods because of the additives which attract them, but I don't know if that's true or not. My 2 are fed on James Wellbeloved, there's a good choice of flavours and we change around a bit. They love the meaty ones but don't care for the fishy one!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
17-08-2007, 02:17 PM   #9

Personally, I don't feed Iams because of the animal cruelty and the way that they "test" on animals. There are lots of websites about it.

But to answer your question, yes, at 6 months old adult food is fine!! Kitten food is very rich and can sometimes cause upset tummies

James Wellbeloved is a good food, as its ingredients are natural.

Catsey Senior

17-08-2007, 04:31 PM   #10

OMG well I most definitely will NOT be buying Iams again that is awful, I had no idea about the cruelty to animals (and I will take your words for it, I won't google it as I too can not stand to read or see anything about cruelty to animals )

I will look into Burns and will defo send off for the sample, I know Thomas loves James Wellbeloved but Purina made him sick for some reason. Never tried Royal Canin so will look into that one too.

Thanks again guys