Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
13-08-2007, 01:51 PM   #1

Chloe has forgotten the litter tray exists..

How can I stop Chloe weeing on my carpet? And how can I stop her pooping on my lawn?

She used to use the litter tray, but now would rather go anywhere other than the appropriate place!!

I have tried the stuff you put on the lawn to stop her pooping but that doesnt deter her. And my dining room carpet has just about taken as much of her weeing as it can stand. My house must stink, but I must be used to the smell

I am gonna have to pull up the carpet, but cant afford to replace it with anything so will have to have rough floors. Will the wee smell have gone through carpet, underlay to scent the floorboards?

I have tried two litter trays but that is no good as Misty will just use two, so then Chloe still has no where to go?

How can I get round this problem, as it is driving me nuts constantly finding wet patches on my carpets.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
13-08-2007, 02:08 PM   #2

Re: Chloe has forgotten the litter tray exists..

Oh Donna - this is awful for you
here's Moli's recipe for removing pee smell
Mix 1 part water to 3 parts vinegar. Then dampen the area that was urinated on, with the vinegar-water solution. DON'T BLOT. Here is where most people go wrong. Place something semi-heavy that won't absorb the solution, like a large laminated book, on top of the area you are treating. Let the spot dry. Most people don't put anything over it and then the vinegar just evaporates without taking away the urine smell. But if you do place something on top of it the vinegar will have time to neutralize and evaporate the urine. It will take some time for it to dry, several hours. When it is all dry treat the area again, but with 3 parts water and 1 part vinegar. Don't forget to put something over it. After it has dried for the second time, the urine smell should be gone. It may take a couple of days for the vinegar smell to go away. This really does work though

I would think there's a good chance that there is some in the floorboards, so it would be a good idea to treat them.

But what to do with Chloe? Well, if it was me, I would put her, her bed and a hooded litter tray in a crate, whenever i couldn't watch her. Sort of total retraining. The hooded tray would be hers, and she would learn again that she must use it each time. If she doesn't, she will wet/soil her bed. It sounds a bit unkind but I think Chloe has a dangerous future if she doesn't come round.

Have you tried different types of litter by the way? Maybe a change would appeal to her more. But (in my amateur way) I think her issues are territorial and to do with Misty. When she is 'released' you must make sure she has her litter tray in a private space and that Misty doesn't use it .... water pistol patrol or something, to keep her out.

Hope somebody else has better ideas for you. take care x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
13-08-2007, 02:49 PM   #3

Oh dear Donna Poor you and poor Chloe

I would agree with DM that it sounds like a terratorial issue with Misty.

If it were me I would:
1. Shut her out of the dining room. She will be able to smell her pee in there (no matter how well you have cleaned, I would imagine that it has gone through the carpet) and so she will be thinking that the dining room is her toilet, as it smells like it.
2. Get more litter trays - maybe 3 or 4 - just in the short term, until she is re-trained. Perhaps have a couple that are open and a couple that have covers - in case there is one type that she doesn't like
3. Try different litter - maybe she has gone off the type of litter you use Perhaps have one tray with one kind in and another tray with another kind in.
4. Take her to the vets for a check up to make sure that she doesn't have any urine infection that is causing her to want to pee on something soft - rather than the litter.

How old is she? How long has this been going on?

I hope that you can resolve it soon.
Hugs
x

Catsey Veteran

13-08-2007, 03:26 PM   #4

She is 3 in September, and this has been going on, on and off for three years... but it is getting worse and worse.

The 24/7 access to outside seems to help as she is happy to pee and poop outside, BUT only if it isnt raining and only if there are no other cats outside that she doesnt like.

I know deep down the issue is Misty. She doesnt like her and never has. I always expected them as kittens to get along and to love each other and hoped each day it would happen, but each day the divide is greater.

Misty is a huge strong cat and as such does huge strong pees that Chloe turns her nose up at, having to go in the tray. But how to stop Misty using another tray if I put that down for Chloe??? Impossible!!

I can try shutting Chloe in the kitchen/lobby/bathroom area of a night with her bed and a litter tray just for her, and also the cat flap but is this not cruel? What about day time when I am at work? Should I restrict Chloe to that area again?

I am at a loss as what to do. I wonder if I should lock the flap at night in case a cat wanders in, as she would be terrified if a cat came in and she was in the restricted area and could not get away from the cat.

Thanks DM for the cleaning tips. I might try that before ripping the carpet up as I will have no money to replace the carpet if I get rid (not that it is a nice carpet as Chloe has also shredded it with her claws). Would love wood flooring downstairs eventually....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
13-08-2007, 03:36 PM   #5

Sorry nothing to add to the above advice, sounds good to me.

Catsey Veteran

13-08-2007, 03:44 PM   #6

Just to add, I have tried every litter that exists.... her favourites are Catsan varieties as they seem to stop the urine smell the best.

Also she was at the vets recently for check up etc and the vet said she was in good health. She looks really thin, but the vet said her weight was ok. I assume I think she is thin as I compare her to Misty who is huge. I may weigh them both later to see the difference in size.

Catsey Veteran

13-08-2007, 03:50 PM   #7

Donna - have you read Cat Confidential? I'm sure she covers situations such as this (though I don't remember an instant answer. I know there is number of cats plus 1 for the number of litter trays needed and try to give your cat a bit of privacy) and she does give a good insight into cat-think.
If you haven't got it PM me your address and I'll send you my copy. It might help - it's a good read ayway.

Catsey Veteran

13-08-2007, 03:52 PM   #8

Yes I have read it. And I know I need more than one litter tray for two cats.

But I just cant work out how I can stop Misty using the tray that Chloe would want to use!!! Or am I being really thick here???

I will put another tray down today, but know Misty will jump in it, as well as her one then I will have two trays down that Chloe wont use!!!

Thanks for the kind offer DM...

Catsey Veteran

13-08-2007, 03:57 PM   #9

The only thing I can think is to get a hooded tray for Chloe and prevent Misty using it - avarsion therapy with a (gentle) water pistol. Yes, leave Chloe in the kitchen (easily cleaned deodorised) with her tray when you can't supervise.
But this might not work with your house layout etc.
Sorry I can't help more

Catsey Veteran

13-08-2007, 04:10 PM   #10

Thanks DM you are being helpful!!

I have one hooded tray already that Misty HAS to use as she doesnt squat when peeing!!! If she has a normal tray it goes all over the place so will keep the hooded one for Misty and will shut Misty in the house away from Chloe (in effect tonight Misty will have the run of my bedroom, emma's bedroom, hall/stairs, and dining room (front room door shut always). Chloe can then have the kitchen, lobby and bathroom and the garden if she chooses. I think I have another tray I can put down for her (normal one) to use in the kitchen.

How many days should I do this, to see if it is working? And should I keep them separate when I am at work? If they are separated for large amounts of time, will that make their relationship better or worse??

One other thought.... two girls that dont get on at all..... would a boy cat have been better??? Or what is the heirarchy of two girl cats?? Would another boy cat introduced settle the pecking order?? Or would that make things worse~?

Will try anything!!