Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Fabulous moggies!
12-08-2007, 09:02 PM   #1

Can of tuna?

I am thinking about giving my cats a small can of tuna between them and wonder if that is ok for them? Scrabble is only 18 weeks old though so not sure if he is "allowed" it?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
12-08-2007, 09:05 PM   #2

Re: Can of tuna?

Hmmmmmmmm - not sure it's a good idea with Scrabble being so young. Someone else might be able to say for sure though.

If you do give tuna to the cats I'm pretty sure that tuna in spring water is better than that in oil or brine.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
12-08-2007, 09:08 PM   #3

Tuna is high in mercury! I'd be wary of giving it to a kitten; a little bit as a treat for adult cats doesn't bother me: Misty would kill for tuna, and died peacefully at home at 19 1/2......

Catsey Senior

12-08-2007, 09:16 PM   #4

Right.. I think I won't do that then! My children had tuna pasta for tea tonight and Scrabble got on the surfaces and we found him eating the remains (he is a nightmare for this grr) he was in absolute heaven with the tiny amount he found, so I just was wondering really. I won't bother, they are happy enough as it is

Thanks (again!) for your advice x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
12-08-2007, 09:36 PM   #5

I don't give my cat's actual tuna, but I give them the spring water that I drain from the can. They've had this from kittens (probably about 20 weeks old), and about once every 2 weeks and it's not done them any harm (they're both 10).

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
12-08-2007, 09:42 PM   #6

I feed my adults tuna in oil as an occasional treat but I haven't given it to the kittens. What a I do give the kittens as a treat occasionally and they absolutely go mad for it is.... sardines in tomato sauce - they can't get enough of it

Catsey Veteran

12-08-2007, 09:49 PM   #7

Funny isn't it how they can be about sardines: Misty, the tuna lover, adored them and so does Onyx my black outdoor girl... Leia makes scraping, burying motions around the plate and stalks off indignantly! None of the boys liked them either.....

Catsey Senior

12-08-2007, 10:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran
I feed my adults tuna in oil as an occasional treat but I haven't given it to the kittens. What a I do give the kittens as a treat occasionally and they absolutely go mad for it is.... sardines in tomato sauce - they can't get enough of it
Oooh sardines, I will have to try that, gosh I bet they would both go crazy for that! Will try and sort out Scrabbles poorly tummy before I introduce anything new though I think!

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 5 moggies
12-08-2007, 10:21 PM   #9

my cats won't eat the tuna in spring water - they don't get it very often probably once or twice in a year - and I have never given it to them as kittens as far as I can remember any way!

Catsey Veteran

12-08-2007, 10:39 PM   #10

I don't blame them, I don't like the tuna in water either; it doesn't taste right! I know it's better for you, but I buy the imported tuna in olive oil at Whole Foods...a bit pricy but none of the national brands pack in oil anymore, and besides, I rationalize that olive oil is a heart-healthy oil!!