Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Fabulous moggies!
10-08-2007, 09:06 AM   #1

Bit worried about Scrabble

We got Scrabble a couple of weeks ago and he has never had any solid poops, they are always runny. But for the last 2 days they are very runny and mucus-y.

I am feeding him Felix kitten wet food which is what the RSPCA always fed him too, so no changes there. I have been putting a small amount of dry food (Science Plan for kittens) in with his wet food to try and get him used to it (I would prefer him to have a dry food diet).

Since we've had him I have noticed that his tummy sometimes emits a HUGE noise like a big groan which I don't think is hunger pangs as it happens when he is fast asleep, although he doesn't seem in pain either.

I must admit that he is a terror for finding scraps of food, he is a real scavenger.. I noticed him eating the remains of my older cats food yesterday and found him licking the kids cereal bowl out this morning Must be more careful leaving food out.

I think I may have answered my own question here, but this is my first time having a kitten so thought I would check here before making any assumptions. Should I change his food?

Thanks for any help! x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
10-08-2007, 09:51 AM   #2

Re: Bit worried about Scrabble

I think he needs a check up at the vets to make sure there isn't any tummy trouble there. When was he last wormed?

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: all types
10-08-2007, 10:10 AM   #3

i think a trip to the vet would be the best advice i can give you but i hope he gets better soon

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
10-08-2007, 10:21 AM   #4

I wouldn't make changes to his diet at the moment as that can also upset their tums. I really think you need to get him checked at the vets to be honest, just to see if there is anything wrong,

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: All black and white and tortie's
10-08-2007, 11:55 AM   #5

I think think you should take him to the vets to the safe and have peace of mind as well.

jane

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
10-08-2007, 01:39 PM   #6

Yeh I'm with the others. I would go to the vet. It could be something like a change in water. Chemicals are always being added and taken away with out us being told. The vet would be the best plan.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
10-08-2007, 01:56 PM   #7

How old is he Sarah?

I agree that a trip to the vets is probably needed. Kittens can get upset tums just from the stress of moving to a new home - so perhaps that happened when Scrabble came to you?! (not that I'm saying your house is stressful!! lol)

The vet will be able to give an antibiotic shot and probably some probiotic paste or granuals for you to put in his food to settle his tummy.

I hope it all resolves soon

Oh, and by the way, kitten food is very rich so perhaps if he does have an upset tummy it would be wise to wean him onto adult food - depending on how old he is.

Catsey Senior

10-08-2007, 02:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliebubs
How old is he Sarah?

I agree that a trip to the vets is probably needed. Kittens can get upset tums just from the stress of moving to a new home - so perhaps that happened when Scrabble came to you?! (not that I'm saying your house is stressful!! lol)

The vet will be able to give an antibiotic shot and probably some probiotic paste or granuals for you to put in his food to settle his tummy.

I hope it all resolves soon

Oh, and by the way, kitten food is very rich so perhaps if he does have an upset tummy it would be wise to wean him onto adult food - depending on how old he is.
He is about 18 weeks old. I am trying to wean him over to Hills Science Plan kibble for kittens as I believe the dry food can be easier for them to digest (any opinions on this?). I phoned the vets and they said that he could do with worming (we forgot to do it when he had his first vaccination last week oops) so will pop in and get him checked.

Thanks everyone x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
10-08-2007, 02:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah5
He is about 18 weeks old. I am trying to wean him over to Hills Science Plan kibble for kittens as I believe the dry food can be easier for them to digest (any opinions on this?). I phoned the vets and they said that he could do with worming (we forgot to do it when he had his first vaccination last week oops) so will pop in and get him checked.

Thanks everyone x
Good news - I'm sure the worming and trip to the vets will set him right!!!

As for the food...........personally (and this is just my opinion) I don't believe that a purely dry diet is good for a cat. It may be good for their teeth, but it means that they don't take on enough water/fluid. This can cause kidney problems in later life.

I have never heard that dry food is easier for them to digest

I would always suggest a mix of wet and dried food, and I would even add extra water to the wet food to make sure that they are getting enough.

Also, if you are feeding a commercial dried food like Whiskers or Felix it contains a lot of artificial colourings and additives - it's kind of like the McDonalds of the cat world If you are able to, it would be better to feed a more natual dried food. I'm not really sure where Hills falls into this though - sorry

I hope that helps!!!
x

Catsey Senior

10-08-2007, 02:34 PM   #10

Hmm might have to rethink the dry food diet then! I will certainly take on board adding a little water to the kibble that I leave down though.

I don't use the commercial dry stuff, although I do use Felix WET food - is that still the McDonalds of the cat world?