Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: NA
syllopsium is Male
25-07-2007, 03:07 PM   #1

Hullo, and Egyptian Mau/leaving cats whilst at work advice?

Hi - I found this forum as I wanted a little advice before and after buying some kittens. Historically I've lived with standard domestic shorthair family moggies (for 20 years or so), to the point that the family last cat was really 'my cat' (as much as a cat is ever anybody's..).

I moved away from the family home 5 years+ ago and now want my own kittens. I've been looking at the Egyptian Mau as it appears to be have a good temperament - friendly, athletic, intelligent and very pretty. A friend is concerned, however, that I am out too much to consider a Mau and I wondered if anyone is in a similar situation. Whilst I would love one, my overriding concern is that the cat be happy.

Basically I'm working 9-5:30. One day a week I'm at yoga and don't get in till 10pm. At least one weekday a month I'm in only briefly before returning about midnight. On Saturdays it is not uncommon to leave early evening and return midnight-1am due to meals/nights out with friends. Fridays I do go to the pub, but this is quite late on.

I'm looking to get an active rescue kitten (shorthaired; breed/sex not important) at the same time as the Mau to keep it company, but is this reasonable? If it needs constant human company during the day I am clearly not the right match for it. On the other hand, if it's happy to do its own thing, and say hello in the evening that's fine!

Any advice would be welcome; I'll also contact the Egyptian Mau club.

Peter

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
25-07-2007, 03:21 PM   #2

Re: Hullo, and Egyptian Mau/leaving cats whilst at work advice?

Hi Peter, and welcome! I hope you start to visit us regularly. I'm afraid I don't have any personal experience of a Mau, but I would say that as you are getting another kitten so that they can be together, then there shouldn't be any problem with the hours you menioned. After all, that is why many people go for cats rather than dogs as they are much more flexible. I look forward to hearing what you decide

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
25-07-2007, 03:25 PM   #3

Hello Peter. Sorry I cant help with your question as I dont know much about the breed.
But a big welcome to Catsey

Were a friendly bunch. I hope you enjoy the site.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
25-07-2007, 03:47 PM   #4

Hi!

I don't know about Mau at all.
I do think 2 cats are often better than one (though sometimes not!) and that many cats are very happy with their own company (but some are really people focussed and don't like being alone.)
So, I've not helped you at all - sorry.
But you are very welcome to Catsey. I hope someone else is more useful.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
25-07-2007, 04:18 PM   #5

Hi, and welcome to Catsey! I am not familiar with the Eqyptian Mau except for admiring them greatly at cat shows! I'm assuming from your post that they seem to be a very people-oriented cat? Siamese are, but mine was an only cat, and while I was working he was home alone all day and did not seem to mind. I also had a Singapura, which is a very people oriented breed also, but he had two moggie girls to interact with. I will add that when I retired, I thought the cats would be delighted to have me home most of the time, but they surprised me by continuing their normal routines....mostly sleeping!! This hasn't really answered your question; just throwing out my experiences. Good idea to contact th Mau Club, and maybe also chat with some breeders. Do let us know if you get one...and we love pics here!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
25-07-2007, 04:20 PM   #6

Hello there and welcome. I'm afraid I don't know anything at all about Mau either, hope you find the answers you need soon.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
25-07-2007, 04:34 PM   #7

Warm welcome I'm afraid that I know little about Egyptian Mau except to have admired their beauty at cat shows. If they are anything like Siamese/Orientals in temperament then I would say they would prefer their own kind and it might be fairer to have two Mau kittens if they are to spend lots of time alone. Best bet would be to contact some breeders and breed clubs and find out a little more about the breed. Good luck and do let us know how you get on

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
25-07-2007, 05:53 PM   #8

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
25-07-2007, 09:58 PM   #9

Hi! a warm welcome to Catsey!

You appear to have stumped us concerning the Egyptian Mau This link was posted on a previous thread in the forum and I noticed it did state that it would be a good idea to have another cat as a companion if it was going to be left on its own for a time.

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/petplanet...yptian_Mau.htm

I hope you'll let us know what you decide.... and if you are lucky enough to own one of these beauties, we would love to see some pics as you would be our first Mau member!

Good luck in your search...

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: moggys
25-07-2007, 10:04 PM   #10

hello and welcome