Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
12-07-2007, 10:51 AM   #1

Bernard isn't settling in the new house

I need help please!!!!!!!!!!

For some reason Bernard just doesn't seem to have settled into this new house The three girls are fine, but he cries all the time. I don't just mean a little "meow" either it's a real heartbreaking, sorrowful wail

I don't know what to do. I'm totally exhausted as he cries through the night and I haven't had a good night's sleep since we moved and he's just not himself.

I thought at first that it was because we don't have a catflap yet, so he was missing going outside........but for the last 2 nights I have left the kitchen window open and have a chair on the inside and one of their wooden climbers on the outside, so he can come and go that way.........but it hasn't made any difference (apart from that the house is freezing!! lol)

He has gone off using the little tray too I know that he prefers to toilet in the garden, but he used to use the tray at the other house if it was raining or he couldn't go outside. He doesn't seem to want to do that now.

The first night he poo'd in the bath, the second night he wee'd in the bath, the third night I closed the bathroom door and he poo'd on the kitchen floor He's been okay the last couple of nights since he has been able to go outside tho.

I've got a Feliway plug in on the go and there is catnip all over the house (which he loves) but it doesn't seem to be helping.

He seems to have got much more needy now too. He's okay when I'm there and up and about and fussing him - but when I go to bed he cries and cries and cries.

I'm torn between picking him up and cuddling him every time he cries and ignoring him. I don't want to reinforce his behaviour of crying by rewarding him with a cuddle

please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
12-07-2007, 11:17 AM   #2

Re: Bernard isn't settling in the new house

How about trying some Rescue remedy Charlie. That might help him relax a little while he adjusts to the move.
Poor Bernard xxx
And poor sleepy you, but you will insist on uprooting those dear kitties

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
12-07-2007, 11:23 AM   #3

Try the 'moving Bernard's unique smell' trick.
Get a clean soft cloth - hankie or similar - and rub it on Bernard's 'temples' - the areas from his eybrows to his ears. That's the place where cats have most of their scenting glands. Then take the cloth and transfer the smell all over the house at Bernard's nose level. All round the walls, pay particular attention to door frames etc, and furniture.
Hopefully this will make the place seem less alien to him.
I'm not sure if it would be good to put a little of the girls' scent too - just to make it more normal. Maybe yes, maybe no - you pick.

Good luck. I expect, as with most things, he'll settle.
If not, watch him closely - maybe moving has coincided with medical matters and he's actually not well?

Catsey Veteran

12-07-2007, 11:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
How about trying some Rescue remedy Charlie. That might help him relax a little while he adjusts to the move.
Poor Bernard xxx
And poor sleepy you, but you will insist on uprooting those dear kitties
I did think of that...............I just need to find it!!! It's in a box somewhere!!!

I know I'm an awful mummy uprooting them They don't seem to have realised yet that it's for the best - they have a bigger house and a lovely garden and their very own cat play room. I need to learn how to speak "cat" so that I can explain all this to Bernard

Catsey Veteran

12-07-2007, 11:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahsmum
Good luck. I expect, as with most things, he'll settle.
If not, watch him closely - maybe moving has coincided with medical matters and he's actually not well?
Thanks DM - I'll try that tonight. I have seen the girls furiously rubbing their faces around the edges of boxes and stuff, so they have got the right idea

I hope it's not medical - but I'm keeping an extra eye on him just in case.

Catsey Veteran

12-07-2007, 11:30 AM   #6

Maybe the whole house, being newly renovated, doesn't small much like a 'home' to Bernard?
I don't know your domestic habits normally but I would suggest being a bit of a house-slut for a little while - leave your worn clothes around on the floor/furniture, leave your bed nice and crumpled etc etc. At least this nasty new place will have the reassurance that it is well connected with his mum.

Catsey Veteran

12-07-2007, 11:44 AM   #7

That's probably spot on DM. It still smells "new" to me, so with their sense of smell it's probably awful for them

House-slut..................I can do that!!!! lol

Thank you.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
12-07-2007, 11:56 AM   #8

Poor Bernard...everyone has given sound advice, maybe just take him a while to settle in Charlie, give him a cuddle from me!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
12-07-2007, 12:01 PM   #9

Oh Charlie, I'm sorry to hear that Bernard is not settling too well It is early days though and I'm sure he will come round given time. I'd try the suggestions above especailly the scent marking one, I think that's a great idea! Good luck and do let us know how you get on x

Catsey Veteran

12-07-2007, 12:11 PM   #10

You could try cutting a peeled onion in half and putting one half, in a saucer, downstairs and the other upstairs. It's very good at absorbing paint-type smells. Throw it away after a day or two and let the onion smell fade naturally. Again, much more normal for a cat than 'new house' smell