Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: MainCoonX, SnowShoeX, & Their Baby
04-07-2007, 06:24 PM   #1

Need Help With Kittens

Ok so before when Sandy was leaving the kittens they had started eating the kitten food. But now for the past few days or so I have not seen Sandy away from the kittens but to go potty. She waits till they are asleep and then goes and comes right back to them. And now they are only nursing. Today I pulled her away from them and fed them and they are eating the food. But any time that I leave her there she eats all food and growls at them for getting near it, but she will let them nurse while she is eating. My vet says to pull her away from them and only let her in with them for a couple of feedings during the day. And feed them the mix that I have been (it contains formula) and slowly wean them off her since she isnt. What do you all think???

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
04-07-2007, 06:42 PM   #2

Re: Need Help With Kittens

Hi Jess, I've never had the experience of my cat having kittens but I'm sure Fran, Smudgley or Charlie will be along to give you their views shortly.....

Can you refresh my memory please....... how old are the kittens now?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
04-07-2007, 06:44 PM   #3

Jess I really wish I could give you the answer. I would go with what your Vet has advised.

Catsey Senior

04-07-2007, 06:44 PM   #4

They are 3 weeks and by everything that I have found should already be eating some solids. And they were up until she started growling at them for going to the dish while she was eating. My guys have been way ahead in developing too. And when I pulled Sandy out of the kitten encloser, the kittens ate some food......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
04-07-2007, 06:47 PM   #5

I'm sure the kittens Alex had didnt go on to solids till much later than 3 weeks.

Catsey Senior

04-07-2007, 06:49 PM   #6

No they dont get somplete solids. By now they should be eating some solids and nursing. Basically they should be starting the weaning process now. At least thats my understanding from the vets and my reading. O and I forgot to say that they have teeth now too.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
04-07-2007, 06:53 PM   #7

Jess, here's a link to weaning/feeding kittens that you may find helpful.....

http://www.purina.co.uk/Home/All+Abo...our+Kitten.htm

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
04-07-2007, 08:24 PM   #8

My kittens were 'pinching' bits of mummy's food at three weeks old but I no way encouraged actually weaning them, I feel it is far too young. Around four and a half weeks old I started giving them their own meals although not all of them were interested in eating. Three of mine were well away with food by about 5 weeks but one only really took an interest an got the hang of eating at around 7 weeks old. If mummy doesn't like to share then I would not feed her in the vicinity of the kittens and when offering food to the kittens, I would remove mummy from the room. Perhaps letting her back in when they have finished to clean up what is left. A trick to encourage kittens to eat is to warm the food up a little. I pop it in the microwave for a few seconds, just to 'air' it. Now my kittens will eat their food straight from the tin or pouch and they are now just starting to take an interest in the Baby Cat biscuits too.

Good luck, don't fret they are still very young and their digestive systems are still very immature, most kittens will wean quite happily when they are ready

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Black & White & All Black & kittens
04-07-2007, 09:56 PM   #9

Our kittens varied so much regarding eating . the first litter which are 7 weeks old were eating solids from 4 weeks old as well as nursing from Mum, Mum lets them eat, has never stiopped them sharing any food around etc...they also litter trained themselves. the youngest litter at 5 weeks old are only just starting eating solid food & only just starting to use a litter tray. these 2 litter have obviously been brought up in the same house etc & are half bros & sisters. so I believe it's an individual thing kiten to kitten.

chris xx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
04-07-2007, 10:22 PM   #10

can't really add anything to Frans reply, except.. I wouldn't be worried about them having solids just yet, however if they have had a little go & seem to be taking to it, then do as Fran says & move Mommy whilst they are feeding.