Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
30-06-2007, 06:11 PM   #1

Glasses

Some of you may remember me mentioning that I was struggling a bit with reading etc and suggested some reading glasses like what they sell at Boots.

Well anyway, due to the fact I get free eiyesight tests from work as I am a pc user I took advantage of a free eye test. Bad news is that the optician has says I need glasses for reading AND distance.

Bit of a shock really as never had a problem with my eyes or had to wear glasses. Feel really self conscious just wearing sunglasses so dont know how I am gonna cope

Question is they have suggested "varifocals". Can anyone tell me if they are a good idea, or whether bifocals or two separate pairs of glasses for reading or long distance are better.

Obviously cost is important to me as although company give me free eye test, they leave me to it for the cost of any glasses I need.

Sorry for long post.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
30-06-2007, 06:33 PM   #2

Re: Glasses

I'd had reading glasses for quite a few years, then at one check-up the optician said I had to have glasses for driving too. The obvious thing was to have vari-focals,so that both the road and the dashboard were clear, so I did some research among family and friends.

OH had never had any problems apart from the first few days when things were "woozy" a bit until he got used to them. Brother got so scared by the wooziness that he came down stairs backwards for about 3 weeks as he found it difficult judging where to put his foot! A surgeon we know thought they were the greatest invention of mankind, and without them he would have had to modify his role in the hospital, as he didn't think he'd have been able to continue doing operations.

I've now had varifocals for 6 years and think they are amazing. At first the gaps between the pavement slabs seemed to swim around a bit and I saw what my brother meant about the stairs! The trick is not to look down at your feet when coming downstairs! You have to move your head as well as your eyes at the beginning till you get used to focusing, but after a short while that became more automatic or less necessary, I'm not sure which!

Nobody can tell by looking at me that my glasses are not single vision and I don't have to wonder where I last left my reading glasses. Nor do I have to take a second pair with me everywhere. I don't know if any of this helps. ( Gosh! Long post!)

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
30-06-2007, 06:58 PM   #3

Donna, firstly there is no need to feel self conscious about having to wear glasses ......... they are almost classed as a fashion accessory these days and there are plenty of lovely styles to choose from. At my opticians you can try on any number of pairs of glasses, and a pic of you wearing them will come up on a screen (4 pics at a time) so that you can see what you look like wearing them .......then it's just a case of eliminating them until you come to the pair you are happy with.

I have had both bifocals and varifocals and I definately prefer the varifocals. With bifocals you have a visible line from close to distance, which I didn't like.
With the varifocals it is a smooth transition from near to far..........and to others it just looks like you are wearing ordinary lenses.

I have been wearing varifocals for about 10 years now (but I don't need to wear my glasses all the time) and I am very happy with them. When you first wear them they will feel strange as you feel you have to move your head around to find to correct part of the lens to look through.......but you soon get used to it!
Another thing worth mentioning about varifocals is you need to look straight ahead with them....for example, you don't look out of the corner of your eye at something... you must turn your head to look at it.

Another thing too is that bifocals and varifocals are more expensive than ordinary lenses

Here's a link Donna that will explain the different lenses to you clearer.....

http://www.college-optometrists.org/...tacles_ho me/

Catsey Veteran

30-06-2007, 07:19 PM   #4

Thanks for the link Mags. Interesting reading. Also found on Boots website that as a pc user I am entitled to free eye test (which I know my company provides) but also if I need glasses my company have to pay for basic glasses (if I am a designated pc user - which I am).

Must look into this with Head Office on Monday as even if I get a voucher towards the cost of glasses it will be a great weight off my mind. Glasses are SO EXPENSIVE

Its all so new to me. Does anyone have preferred opticians or had bad experiences with any companies? My brother said Specsavers give you glasses whether you need them or not to make money, but not sure that is entirely true

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
30-06-2007, 07:21 PM   #5

Specsavers haven't always recommended glasses for me when I've had my eyes done, and they also have glasses at quite a cheap price compared to Boots and places like that! They also have that screen Mags was talking about where you can see different pics of yourself.

Catsey Veteran

30-06-2007, 07:25 PM   #6

I wasnt shown the screen at Specsavers today where I had my eye test - maybe the larger branches have it.

I am sure they are regulated and audited like most places so didnt think they would just issue prescriptions without needing them as surely that is dangerous in itself making people wear glasses they dont need!!!!

Are the more expensive frames worth the extra money or are the cheap and cheeful range just as good???

Sorry, so many questions!!

Global Moderator

30-06-2007, 07:33 PM   #7

I have been with Dolland and Aichison for years. A few years ago my hubby and I thought we would both try Boots ........we found the frames we liked there but we both had nothing but problems with both our glasses. The screws kept coming out and the lenses continually dropped out of hubby's glasses
Neddless to say we both went back to our ususal optician and have never had any problems with them.

Do you have a branch near you Donna?

Obviously the the more you pay for a frame, the better it is ..... but some designer frames can be quite expensive...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
30-06-2007, 07:33 PM   #8

lol, no probs. Well, mine are the cheap and cheerful frames and never had any problems with any of mine. And when you think it actually only costs a few pounds to make glasses frames and then they stick huge prices on them, well, I won't pay it!!

Global Moderator

30-06-2007, 07:35 PM   #9

A good idea is to pop into a few of the opticians in your area to see if there are any frames that you particularly like........not every optician has the same frames

Catsey Veteran

30-06-2007, 07:36 PM   #10

When I tried a few on I did feel happier knowing they were more expensive. Silly I know. Did see some nice fcuk ones that suited me (so the lady said). They were £125 plus all the bits they add on.

Will see if there is a Dolland and Aitcheson in my area...