Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Long hair
22-06-2007, 12:56 AM   #1

Hungry...24/7 Kitten thing?

Okey, my Kitten Socks is 4 weeks old, He's been weaned since he was 3 weeks. He is eating soft foods and just now started growing his back teeth, so he's chewing on fingers,toes,and anything (I guess cause he's teething) The vet said he was healthy and nothing was wrong..it's just..He wants to eat anything we're eating. I was having a salad today and I left it for a minuet to get a drink, and he's up on the table, eating the salad! He already had a can and a half of soft cat food today! Plus some Kitten milk! He just won't stop eating and his stomach is getting so big and tough. I hope it's a kitten thing.

Also, I need to get him drinking water cause right now, he won't touch the stuff. How do I get him to start drinking water?

Thanks

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
22-06-2007, 02:34 AM   #2

Re: Hungry...24/7 Kitten thing?

I've never had a kitten that young and just weaned, so can't offer any advice; sure someone here with more experience can help! He sounds like a bottomless pit, bless him!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
22-06-2007, 06:54 AM   #3

Any reason why he came away from his mom so young?

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: all types
22-06-2007, 08:10 AM   #4

sorry i cant help mags or someone will probably

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
22-06-2007, 11:25 AM   #5

I can't answer all your questions but I think i have read that kittens will overeat if they get the chance and, as he doesn't have litter mates to compete with, he is being a glutton.
I would try to restrict him to a sensible amount of food or you could well end up with diarhhoea at the least or long term weight issues, with all the other problems that brings, at the worst.
Also, I think singleton kittens, especially 'orphan ones' need to be 'put in their place' or they may develop bad character traits. So, don't let him bite or claw to excess. Put him in his place like his Mom or litter mates would.
There must be something about this on the www - try a search.
Good luck!

(Smudgley - this little boy was from an unwanted litter and was effectively thrown out of the house onto the street at 3 weeks and rescued by the posters bf)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
22-06-2007, 05:50 PM   #6

Thanks DM - I guessed he was probably a little rescue kitten.
A greedy one at that. Has he been wormed? Make sure he's woormed & treated for fleas & then do as DM suggests restrict his meals.
I would give him little & often, that way he shouldn't get hungry in between.
Don't be afraid to let him know what's acceptable behaviour & what isn't, he will need to learn a few manners at your mealtimes.
well done for taking him in.

Catsey Junior

22-06-2007, 06:42 PM   #7

thankyou all for helping ^^ He does seem like a bottemless pit o.o;; He jumped in my lap the other day trying to get my food, and I picked him up and put him back down, I kept doing this for ever o.o;; He finally learned not to do it anymore ^^. Thankyou all for helping

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
22-06-2007, 07:20 PM   #8

To get him to drink more water, try mixing a couple of spoons of water in with his food......it will make it like a nice tasty gravy and he will be getting his water at the same time!

This tip was given to me by Kazz and I've used it ever since for Cassie...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
22-06-2007, 07:23 PM   #9

Or maybe, as he's so young, he would still like to suckle? If you could get a tiny bottle/teat set (vet or maybe pharmacy) as used for tiny orphans, he could both satisfy his baby urge to suck and take in some water?

Catsey Junior

23-06-2007, 05:04 AM   #10

We've tried that, but he refuses too. He can drink out of a dish and he prefers that more (Thats what it looks like) We got him a bottle and he used his tiny front teeth and tore it apart. He's 4 weeks now I think..but I'm not totaly sure. He's just now starting to get his back teeth in.