Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 3 moggies
21-06-2007, 10:14 AM   #1

Amber's test results

Hi

Just got off the phone with the vet, the news isn't great. Her thyroid levels are fine. Her liver and kidney function are poor and decreasing. We're going back to the vet next Wednesday to discuss a diet to help her and probably the steriod injections will continue. As long as she is eating, drinking and getting up and about the vet says I don't need to worry too much... easier said than done! Ah well, another task to tackle. I won't give up until she wants to, obviously I'm upset but got to keep me old girl going!

Becky

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
21-06-2007, 11:19 AM   #2

Re: Amber's test results

I'm sorry to hear the news is not better for Amber but you are remaining positive and doing all you can for her. I do hope that the treatment/diet will keep her comfortable for a good while longer x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
21-06-2007, 11:46 AM   #3

Its the age thing that goes against us. Sorry to hear your news but pleased her thyriod levels are good - kidney problems are very common in older cats and the steriods do help do't they? Karen

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
21-06-2007, 12:28 PM   #4

Sorry to hear you didn't get better news, but as you say, untilshe gives up you can't either. Good luck and ((hugs)) to you both!

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
21-06-2007, 01:35 PM   #5

Sorry to hear the news isn't isn't good.. I hope the treatment will help help her and make her feel more comfortable..

Good luck to both of you ((((hugs)))) xx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
21-06-2007, 01:45 PM   #6

I'm sorry to hear this. It's good that you are staying positive though.

Good luck at the vets next week and keep us posted.

(((hugs)))

Cats owned: 1 female medium hair domestic
21-06-2007, 05:43 PM   #7

Diets and steroids usually do the trick. I just did much research on this because the doctor recently thought that Alex might have kidney failure. Many cats go on to live many more happy years.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 3 moggies
21-06-2007, 07:31 PM   #8

Thanks every one for you best wishes, I am doing some research on how to help tonight. Her appetite is increased again so I'm pleased about that.
Having to keep Sammy out of her way as he can be such a bully with her sometimes, he's so much bigger than her. I know he wants to be friends and play but she just likes to go on her own way and be left to it.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
21-06-2007, 07:40 PM   #9

That's a worry for you and I'm sorry to hear Amber is suffering kidney decline. There are several members here who have experienced and dealt with, and are dealing with, this and can offer superb advice.

Don't despair!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
21-06-2007, 08:09 PM   #10

So sorry to hear this. How old is Amber? Try not to worry too much, I am sure Kazz and Dinahsmum will agree with me that when you get the initial diagnosis its a bit over whelming emotionally but dont despair, kidney and liver function can be stabalised, the liver is a regenerative organ and can repair its self to a reasonable level. The kidneys cannt sadly but any further damage can be slowed dramatically with treatment, diets etc.
Feeding her quality foods with a low phosphorus content is a good start, feed little and often, raise food bowls to help combat vomiting, add extra fluids to her food too. There are loads of little things you can do to help her.
http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=16080