Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
13-05-2007, 01:26 PM   #1

Really chuffed

Well I am really chuffed, really truely.
Last night I saw my cousin and he gaveme my copy of the picture of the four James.
Months ago we managed to find an old picture "The Four James" we knew it exsisted (my Mom recalled it as a girl) but no one knew where it had gone but Brian (my cousin) and I were researching the family tree and looked for it through the boxes of pictures everyone had, we finaly found it in a poor state we think from a flood sent it away to be restored and this is it. The chap who restored it said we were lucky another year or so and it would not have been able to be saved

My family My Mom's side. This picture we think was taken about 1907-8-9
The elderly gentleman sitting on the right with the full beard and medals is my Great Great Great Grandad James Hall he was born in 1826 and served in the Royal Marines in the Crimean war, one medal is the Crimea medal, he was in the RM for 25 years we believe. Invalided out due to injuries received. Yet to find more out on that score.
He married Anne.

The gentleman on the left is his son; my Great Great Grandad also called James he was born in 1853, he married Sarah.

The younger man standing is his son; my Great Grandad also called James 1872 - 1942. He married Emily Anne 1872 - 1965. They had 5 children who survived to adulthood, James born 1899-1988, Rose Emily (my Nan) 1900 1983, Florence (my Auntie Nellie) 1904 - 2004, William 1905 - 1968, Alfred 1907 -1967.

The young lad is his son my Great Uncle Jim - a family tradition James it seems Uncle Jim was born in 1899 and was about 8ish in this picture we believe.
He emigrated to Canada when he was 16.

The picture the four James.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggy
13-05-2007, 01:37 PM   #2

Re: Really chuffed

Thats great Kazz,and what a great picture.
My dad and I have traced our family tree back quite far too but have never been able to find anything quite as precious as a old photograph like this.

Catsey Veteran

13-05-2007, 01:41 PM   #3

I know we are really really chuffed, I have another of him as a younger man I think when he first retired from the Royal Marines. I will scan a copy I loaned it to Brian to take copies of. I can't believe we found anything so precious.
Karen

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggy
13-05-2007, 01:52 PM   #4

its great Kazz it really is,have you been to the Records office in what ever town/city they lived in?
we went and got lots of information from there,my dads great great granddad was in St Crispins mental Asylum for some time and they had lots of pictures of the patients but unfortunately none of my dads great great granddad,they may have some photos and things of James if he was in the Royal Marines,if they dont have photos they mays have lots of other information.
We saw all the nuring and medical notes that were the originals,it was amazing,mind you though i do just have to add that doctors hand writing hasnt improved much at all over the years

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: sadly 1 boy now :(
13-05-2007, 02:51 PM   #5

i love old pics, i have a couple of my nan n grandad, and one with my dad when he was a toddler, my son was the spit of his grandad when he was little.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
13-05-2007, 03:00 PM   #6

That's lovely Kazz and very precious. They certainly liked their whiskers years ago didn't they?!

You have reminded me now that I also have an old pic showing four generations of my father's side of the family. It was taken at my father's christening ........I must try to get it scanned some time.

Catsey Veteran

13-05-2007, 03:02 PM   #7

Yes do Mags

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
13-05-2007, 03:07 PM   #8

Lovely picture Kazz, great to see the generations together....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
13-05-2007, 03:23 PM   #9

what a wonderful picture to have Kazz!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
13-05-2007, 03:42 PM   #10

How lucky you are to have something so precious Kazz, lovely!