Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
01-05-2007, 08:00 PM   #1

Pet Insurance?

I've never thought much about this, as I've been blessed with extraordinarily healthy cats all my life, so not very current on prices. I was quite amazed to see how expensive Leia's visit in December was...close to $400.00 with medication and x-rays. So, when I got a brochure in the mail yesterday from ASCPA (old, respected animal protection agency), I investigated. A policy covering accidents (poisoning, broken bones, falls, RTA's), and essential illness coverage (medications, diagnostic procedures, lab tests, surgery, hospitalization and x-rays). This is for an 8 year old cat in good health: the annual premium is $159.85 (82 pounds). This seems reasonable to me; I was wondering how it compares to costs in the UK. Have just about made up my mind to enroll, and have told Leia she cannot be sick for the 30 day waiting period!! Do you agree that it's a good deal? ASPCA isn't some flighty by night organization, and aren't likely to go out of business! Your thoughts?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
01-05-2007, 08:08 PM   #2

Re: Pet Insurance?

I pay around a £100 each a year for my pedigree cats with Petplan but that's cover for life policies..

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
01-05-2007, 08:20 PM   #3

I use Pet Plan also, but for Misty and Jac - they are older, they wouldnt take them on so I'm with Sainsbury's for those, Domino will be under Pet Plan x

Catsey Veteran

01-05-2007, 08:35 PM   #4

I forgot to add that there's a $100.00 deductible, and the policy pays 80% of the fees. You can go to any vet, and you do have to file your own claim to be reimbursed.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
02-05-2007, 08:21 AM   #5

That sounds comparable with over here DM. It must be one of the first schemes over the pond? I know it wasn't well known/used last time we were theer 2 years ago.
I think insurance is something well worth thinking about for people who would find a sudden large bill difficult. It is a balanced decision.

Here's a link to a thoughtful discussion from a way back http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php...ight=insurance

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
02-05-2007, 02:10 PM   #6

That sounds good to me Eileen.

I pay around 60/70 pounds each for my lot (non-pedigree) a year, but they are all fairly young - the eldest being Bernard at about 7 years old. Lily's insurance costs about 200 pounds per year, but that is a special breeding policy with Pet Plan.

I must say that I have found my pet insurance invaluable with Bernard's lump removal and Abi's ear problems of late!!

I do have to pay the vets initially, but then claim it back on the insurance. I think there are some companies that will pay the vets directly though

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
02-05-2007, 02:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliebubs
I do have to pay the vets initially, but then claim it back on the insurance. I think there are some companies that will pay the vets directly though
Petplan pay my vets direct for Porsha

Catsey Veteran

02-05-2007, 04:16 PM   #8

There was some publicity a while back about pet insurers going out of business; it's never been well publicized here. I think that ASCPA might have decided to start offering this now (or maybe just advertising it more widely) because of the recent pet food poisoning/recall scare. Anyhow, I've signed up!