Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Two black & white moggies
11-04-2007, 07:08 PM   #1

New cat in the neighbourhood: HELP!!

I posted some months ago about Binkie & Wilbur, who, as I was assured, have settled down to being quite good companions.
However, a new cat has moved into the house at the bottom of the garden, he's a huge black tom (neutered), called Womble and is twice the size of Wilbur (who is still growing!), and he seems to think that he can take over the garden.
He's also come into the house as I don't have a catflap and leave the door open when I'm home. This should be resolved by us having a catflap fitted next week.
There are also two un-neutered toms who like to spray in the garden. Any ideas on how to make sure my cats feel comfortable in their garden, and how to deal with the sometimes unfriendly attention from Womble? He's attacked Wilbur and Binkie, but they're not very assertive. I also think Womble would probably like to be friends and it's likely he's just testing things out.

The advice I've had from this forum has been great so far, so, any suggestions would be very welcome!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
11-04-2007, 07:22 PM   #2

Re: New cat in the neighbourhood: HELP!!

Um, the only thing I can think off the top of my head is to put little piles of Wilbur and Binkie's poo around your boundary
It's supposed to be a good marker of a cat's territory, so should send a message to any interlopers.
You may find they settle down happily with Womble as a visitor but I'm not so confident about the full toms - they are likely to remain a problem unless you can water-pistol them of do something else to make your place unfriendly to them without actually hurting them. Tom-cat wee is nasty and stinky. Hope someone else has more ideas to help you.

11-04-2007, 07:34 PM   #3

Thanks! That's a start- I'll be raiding the litter tray this evening!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
11-04-2007, 07:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlracer68
Thanks! That's a start- I'll be raiding the litter tray this evening!!

Wait till dark ... don't alarm the neighbours!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
11-04-2007, 07:37 PM   #5

A cat flap wont solve your problem, as the cats will just come in through that. Even if you get a magnetic one (like I have) they can force through them. I have cats coming into my house and terrorising my two, but there is NOTHING I can do to stop this happening unless I stop mine going out.

Even water thrown at them has not detered them.

Sorry to be so blunt, but this is a problem that wont go away, you will just have to live with it best you can, as i have to.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
11-04-2007, 08:05 PM   #6

Dont know if this is any good but how about getting some citrus spray and spraying about your border?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
11-04-2007, 08:51 PM   #7

I tend to agree with Donna. May be some cat proof fencing will be more effective, something like "secure a cat".
I certainly hope something helps. Do you know who owns these cats? Or are they stray? If stray, maybe you could also contact some one like cat77 to have them neutered?
Wish you well xxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
11-04-2007, 08:54 PM   #8

The only sure way I can think of is to cat proof your garden if you are able. Good luck with this and do let us know how you get on! Love the name 'Womble' by the way

12-04-2007, 03:56 PM   #9

Thanks for all the replies! I spent yesterday continually chasing Womble out of the garden, and today he's been less aggressive to my two, and seems to be keeping his distance. It's possible that my two will be ok with Womble, they certainly have been less hesitant about going into the garden today. How quickly things can change! BTW the name womble comes from a British kids programme in the 70s & 80s about furry creatures that clear away rubbish and recycle it! Ahead of the game there!!