Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Russian Blue, Siamese and Mainecoon
10-04-2007, 05:21 AM   #1

Please Help! 2 new cats + 1 original cat = Jealous Kittyman!!!!!!

Hi everyone,

I recently adopted my sisters two cats for her since she isn't able to care for them at the current time it might a long time until she can take them back, they are a 1 year old male and a about 8 month old female cat. I have my own cat as well who is almost 7 years old now and the kittyman love of my life!!!!!! He is normally very loveable to me (only me), follows me around everywhere, loves to snuggle and very shy of other people, pretty much in summary he is a precious lovable guy. He has been around these two "kittens" since they were very little because my sister would bring them over all the time, sometimes for about 10 days straight. He would be a little jealous but not anything major. He eventually started playing with the male cat whenever my sister would bring him over and started enjoying his company but he completely dislikes the female cat. My sister would always take them both back to her home though and then kittyman would be fine and back to his sweet as pie self although he would meow walking around the house looking for the male cat for about 2 days after she took him home. Anyhow since the two kittens have been here alittle over a month now my kittyman has changed, he is no longer the sweet lovable guy and has been really aggressive to me, I know its probaly because he is jealous but I try to give him lots of attention. About two weeks ago I had just got up and hadn't fixed my bed yet and I saw him on my sheets hacking and I walked over there and he had thrown up a hairball and food on my bed sheets ,something hes never done. Also he usually always lets me pick him and hold him and snuggle with him but ever since the other kitties have been here he starts making very mean growling sounds at me and tonight he bit my hand and clawed me!! He is a fairly big male cat and this is all very shocking behavior to me because he NEVER EVER bites me or growls at me!!!!!!!! He has this look like he is so mad at me although he is always very close to wherever I'm at in the home, but if I go to pick him up he will run away but then slowly come back into the room if he thinks i'm not looking. Just about the only time that he will be "himself" is if I go into my room stand there and then call him, then he will come running as fast as a cheetah because its like he knows the routine now, then I shut the door so the kitties are far away and he will be his sweet self, so pretty much its only at night when its time to go to bed that he is himself now. I kept hoping that he would start to getting over the kitties being here by now but it seems to be getting worse. I feel so sad because I feel like hes not the same cat anymore and that he is mad at me because he thinks I don't want him anymore and that makes me feel sad for him. I'm not sure what I can do make him understand hes my 1# kittyman and I love him to bits even when he abuses his mama, heh.

If anyone has any suggestions I'm really appreciate it!!!!! Thanks so much!!!!

~Sincerely~
Want my Old Kittyman back

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
10-04-2007, 08:47 AM   #2

Re: Please Help! 2 new cats + 1 original cat = Jealous Kittyman!!!!!!

Warm welcome to Catsey! I am sorry to hear about the problems you are having. Can you get Feliway plug ins over there? I had a similar problem recently, except between girl cats. I brought a new girl in and one of my existing girls became very jealous and took it out on everybody else in the household! I got a Feliway plug in and things are very much calmer now, I'm pleased to say. It doesn't work instantly, you might have to have it plugged in for about four weeks before you see results. Good luck and do let us know how you get on ..

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
10-04-2007, 09:47 AM   #3

Welcome to Catsey, I cannot offer any advice except what Fran has said, I found Feliway works here. I hope you find light at the end of the tunnel soon ((((((hugs)))))) x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
10-04-2007, 07:43 PM   #4

http://wizz-catz.co.uk/introducing.html
This might help.
Try looking at it from you cats point of view for a moment, cats being very territorial creatures. Largly its been him and you for most of the time, and now his territory has been invaded and he now feels under threat, hence the aggression. He is obviously very stressed with this situation. Items such as Feliway and rescue remedy may help him relax a little but they wont resolve the conflict issues. May be an idea to confine the youngsters and introduce them gradually into the house.
Wishing you all the very best and I hope it all works out but it may take time and alot of patients.

Cats owned: DSH, British blue shorthair
21-05-2007, 08:02 PM   #5

Hi, i know it wont be what you want to hear but it can take about 6months for a cat to get used to new additions to the family. I agree the feliways are a great idea we always recommend them in work (im a a vet nurse) I'd say briberys always a good idea, give him his fave treat on his favourite place to sleep and make sure he gets lots of cuddles so he knows he's still your favourite cat man! xx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
21-05-2007, 10:48 PM   #6

Yes, it can take a while for cats to adjust to new additions, but it does usually work out providing you carry out the introductions correctly and senstively. 1. Make sure it's gradual. 2. Give your incumbent cat as much love as you can - love overload if you like, just to make him know you still love him. 3. Make sure all cats are speyed/neutered. This will inhibit aggression. 4. Transfer of scents. Rub one cat with a towel than rub the other cats with same towel and vice versa. Leave each towel with oposing cat to allow smell familiarisation.

However, above all, don't rush things or expect too much. Cats think differently to humans!

Good luck