Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Worlds No 1 Moggy and 2 Selkirk Rex
18-03-2007, 11:13 PM   #1

How does your cat communicate its needs to you?

Chatting to mum today and she was getting hassle from my cat who lives with them called Claude - he is very demanding and vocal

Cats are so individual of course but Pousse is just strange -she never meows to ask for stuff, just mutely stares at me and sits by the kitchen door -this is her universal request for food/water/clean litter tray and sit down because I want to sit on your lap

How do your cat communicate with you and what endearing ways do they have for certain requests?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
18-03-2007, 11:33 PM   #2

Re: How does your cat communicate its needs to you?

Definitely, they all talk, and if they want something, Ollie and Casper paw me, Merlin sits and talks non stop, Leo moans, and chancer just looks at me.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 DSH and a Siamese
18-03-2007, 11:34 PM   #3

Mine stare. Its non-invasive yet hightly effective. Nothing will put you off ease faster than a cat staring at you.

If the stare doesn't work, they try affection. When the cats become randomly affectionate, I know they want something.

If I'm asleep, they purr in my ear. If that doesn't work, a nice chomp on the toe and I'm out of bed.

They will "talk" to me but usually only after I'm am in the process of doing what they wanted me to do. Probably telling me to hurry it up!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
18-03-2007, 11:35 PM   #4

Leia isn't much of a vocal communicator; she relies on body language mostly; jumps up on the table where her dry food is and puts on a "small starving cat" face when she's hungry; scratches on the door when she wants out or in, comes to me and butts her head against my hands when she wants cuddling, starts playing with her mouse or ball all by herself when she thinks its time for a game...looking at me all the time as if to say "can't you see I want to play?" They do manage to get their wants pretty clearly to us, don't they?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
18-03-2007, 11:48 PM   #5

Oscar spoke to me always talking that one, aided and abetted by the occasional hook. Cleo talks too but she alwaso "touches" more now she touches my face with her paw when she's tired and wants to settle down on my lap or go to bed and wants me to go to so she can settle
She also touches me when she wants to be stroked, fussed.

But must admit as the years have passed I know what they want before they do mostly mainly I suppose because we have become set in a routine.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
19-03-2007, 08:39 AM   #6

All my cats talk to me, some of them more than others and I can usually tell what they want by their body language too

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
19-03-2007, 02:15 PM   #7

Rover is a creature of habit and much noise. He talks almost constantly when he's awake. He's got a pleasant voice when he's just chatting, a clearly demanding tone when I'm late with food, walks or door-opening and an outright foul howl when he's displeased. He's got some of his kitten-noises left as well, for use when begging food when he's "starving" (outside of feeding-times). Don't know that they help much. ^-^
Oddly, he seems to like cuddles for the sake of cuddles, not to gain food. Purrs very intently when he's actively happy.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
19-03-2007, 02:36 PM   #8

Fifi taps me with her paw and also squeaks.

Balie moans or headbutts (but he's sat on the desk staring into my face right this moment which is quite unusual for him).

Ferdy was silent (he was the stray one). There were only a couple of times when he managed a quiet meow.

Darcy will walk around you until he's looking you square in the face and just shout, yowl or howl. He's also the one that trots around like a puppy after you - so if he's following you from room to room you know he's after something.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
19-03-2007, 04:17 PM   #9

Winston was always one of those silent meowers, occasionally he would manage a little squeek. He was never very demanding at all. That said he became vocal a year or so into his illness and would use his vioce to indicate all was not well with him. This was particularly shown at the time he developed high blood pressure, some of you may remember my postings about his vocalisation at that time.
Eva is very vocal and very very demanding. I swear she can actually form words LOL. When she wants out her meow sounds almost like she is say the word out. When we have conversations I swear she answeres my questions with a yes or a no and if she wants my attention she really sounds like she is shouting mum LOL.
Bernie on the whole is a quiet kitty but becomes vocal at meal times and i hear him calling on the hairdressers back door when he is out in the garden.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
19-03-2007, 04:21 PM   #10

Oh Elaine, that reminded me of my Aby, Sultan! He could almost vocalize "out" very loudly when that was what he wanted...hadn't thought of that in a long time,,,,,,,,