Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
24-02-2007, 06:14 PM   #1

Tucker is acting strangely since we lost Nipper

Tucker has always been the friendliest cat I have ever came across. Even after his plums were removed, his temperament was not affected an ounce.

All the cats have always got on really well, always sleeping and playing together, bar Tabs who is a grumpy oldie, but even she will now tolerate the kittens to an extent, and they respect when she has had enough. But Tucker has started to 'ignore' the other cats, and when they try to play with him, he isn't tolerating it for very long and gets annoyed at them very easily. He has always been the friendliest of the cats, and most sociable with all the animals/people in the house. He was always the one to initiate the games and chases, and now he is the one ending them.

When Nipper died last week, he pined for her for a few days, especially at night. He is very loving and he has never known life without her, and as cats go they were very close. The way the cats were, Nipper and Tucker were a team. The 2 black girls are also close to each other, I think as we got them a week or 2 apart. Tabs and Kiara tend to each do their own thing.

He is only 9 months old, the other cats are all female and are aged almost a year (the 2 black girls), 14 months (Kiara) and almost 14 years (Tabs).

I was wondering if maybe his behaviour is directly due to the loss of his sister. It has only been a week but i'm starting to worry about him, and wondering if it would be worth a trip to the vet. He is still as affectionate as ever with the humans of the house, just not the cats. He just can't seem to be bothered with them at all.

Any advice gladly recieved.

Kel

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 3 moggies
24-02-2007, 06:25 PM   #2

Re: Tucker is acting strangely since we lost Nipper

Hi Kel. I was so sad to read about your loss. I lost one of mine a couple of months ago, and her playmate Bubs definitely grieved for her and they weren't even related. She didn't want to know about her brother Des at all for quite a few weeks and took to spending all day asleep upstairs on the bed. She just seemed generally depressed, although she would still have a little play now and then with us humans.

So, I would think Tucker is probably grieving. As long as he's eating OK I wouldn't worry too much. Lots of love and attention from you and I'm sure he'll come round given time.

Sammy.xxxx

Catsey Veteran

24-02-2007, 06:34 PM   #3

Thank you Sammy, it's reassuring to hear that. He was off his food for a few days but is fine now. I started him on chicken which he accepted and he is now eating his normal diet fine.

All the other cats are fine, everyone seemed a little depressed for the first few days but soon perked up, just Tucker who's not coping so well. He does just seem generally depressed, he's being very attention seeking, asking for cuddles and reassurance all the time from me.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
24-02-2007, 06:59 PM   #4

Time is sgreat healer - Cleo was subdued after Oscar her brother was PTS in Dec05. They had been together for 23 years but she is fine now I think looking back I unknowingly - read my feelings of loss onto Cleo so in effect
she was doing nothing different,but because I felt so bad missing Oscar I decided in my head she was too. When it may well of been I was just more aware of her and in one way "thinking" she was feeling the same.

What I'm trying to say "badly" is he will be fine - having the other cats around he will come round, and soon you'll find them all asleep in a pile again.

Karen

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 3 moggies
24-02-2007, 07:00 PM   #5

Aw bless him, he's obviously missing her terribly, as you must be too.

It is strange how they react differently. I don't think Des even noticed that Mizzie had gone, and I was quite surprised at how depressed Bubs was when she went. I think she still does miss her now, mainly because they played alot together, but she is back to normal - well, what passes for normal for Bubs!

I suppose it must be hard for them to understand when a cat just dissappears from the family, which is probably why he wants lots of reassurance that you're still there.

Hope he (and you) feel better soon.xxx

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
24-02-2007, 07:02 PM   #6

Poor Tucker, it does sound as though he is grieving which is only natural considering he has just lost his soul mate.

Give him plenty of love, cuddles and attention and I'm sure he will soon get over the loss of Nipper.......

((((hugs)))) to you also

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
24-02-2007, 09:07 PM   #7

It sounds like grieving to me. When Sultan died Misty very obviously missed him and kept looking for him (he was pts at the vets); all she knew was that he left one day and never came home. She did get back to normal after a week or so; and it didn't affect her appetite (nothing affected Misty's appetite!) Give him lots of cuddles and reassurance; sure he'll get back to normal soon; (((hugs)))

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: moggies
24-02-2007, 09:20 PM   #8

Definately missing Nipper... my CJ got very subdued when we lost Casper last April, he now has a new playmate in Smudge but is still not the same as he was as he and Casper were close... He is only just now starting to perk up a bit... Lots of Love and attention is the only thing we can give our furry babies... he will get used to Nipper not being there in time.. Hope he perks up a bit soon.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
25-02-2007, 01:44 PM   #9

Behaviour sees to change quite a lot when 'the pack shuffles' Random.. Here's a link to a conversation we had a little while ago.
http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php...wi ng+loss+of
Hope Tucker feels better soon x

Catsey Veteran

25-02-2007, 10:16 PM   #10

Thanks everyone for your support.

Thank you DM I will read through that thread now.

Will give him an extra hug from u all. x