Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Worlds No 1 Moggy and 2 Selkirk Rex
06-02-2007, 08:42 PM   #1

How much should a healthy adult cat eat? and how much do yours eat?

Yes me again sorry you will be fed up at this rate! Pousse doesn't seem to eat very much - probably just less than one pouch of meat a day with a little whiskers crunch topping ( I always clear dregs out before next meal) and a couple of mouthfuls of her Royal Canin and 8 dentabit biscuits a day and it is a bit of an effort to make sure she eats this.

The last indoor cat I had was a rescue off the street who I rehomed after he was well again to a home in the country and he would eat between 2 and 3 pouches a day and dry food

He was younger and I'd say more active but she still seems to eat little and is underweight by a condition scoring as I can't weigh her she doesn't seem to struggle when chewing either. She is having a vet check on Friday.

So how much do yours eat and how old are they and how active?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
06-02-2007, 08:50 PM   #2

Re: How much should a healthy adult cat eat? and how much do yours eat?

Hi, I have eight cats and they all eat different amounts. I have a couple of really greedy cats and a couple that just about eat enough to survive! I agree that one pouch per day doesn't sound like a lot for an adult cat though..Have you tried experimenting with different foods to see if there is something that really takes her fancy? I can recommend Natures Menu, it comes in pouches in a few different flavours. One of mine (Siamese is a very fussy eater but goes mad for Natures Menu) I think you will have a clearer picture of whether she is underweight and has any problems when she has had her vet check..

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
06-02-2007, 08:56 PM   #3

Hello Cleo is 24 and she is not that active but eats small and often, once she settles down she may not the biggest of eaters, Cleo never has been but has always been healthy.
Karen

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
06-02-2007, 09:02 PM   #4

We wont get fed up so stop worrying
It doesnt sound like she eats alot but all cats are different. My old boy Winston certainly ate more than that, even later in life and with CRF. There were times he would go off his food so in order to encourage him to start eating again I would try all sorts.
Adding a little boiled water to his food. Some strong smelling foods such as sardines. Boiled chicken or poached fish, serving them warm. Keeping some of the water I had used for boiling/poaching and using that to add to food etc etc.
But please try to relax until you have her checked at the vets. Your vet will be able to advise you better with regards to getting a little weight on her. She may also begin to eat more once she is settled and feels more secure.
You are the one we will be worried about if you dont stop worrying about her .
At the present you are doing all you can for her and more.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
06-02-2007, 09:43 PM   #5

My almost seven moggy eats two 3.5 tins or pouches of wet food a day, plus a small handful of dry as a treat (with gravy over it, as she has had cystitis) three times a day. She is not very active; weighs 14 pounds...not fat, just a big cat. I agree that Pousse isn't eating a lot, but sure when you discuss this with your vet, she/he will give you some feeding guidelines. And don't worry, you're doing the best you can,,,and don't hesitate to ask questions; we're here to help if we can!

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
06-02-2007, 10:32 PM   #6

Cassie eats about 3/4 of a tin of Whiskas a day ......... ocassionally she has a small sprinkle of biscuits on top of it...

Ask as many questions as you like Soupie ......... believe it or not but some of us learn from other peoples questions too!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
06-02-2007, 10:44 PM   #7

Not sure what to add that hasn't already been said. Try not to worry though all cats are different. Sasha & Sidney always seem to be eating, yet Misty eats just enough to keep him alive! Agree with experimenting with different foods. My cats wont eat food that has been down for longer that 1/2 hour! I have a bowl of complete food available all the time. If Pousse can tolerate it, some whiskas or felix milk may help her put on a little weight.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Worlds No 1 Moggy and 2 Selkirk Rex
06-02-2007, 10:49 PM   #8

Thanks everyone

I try to keep the food fresh and the dry food is changed completely once a day with her "wet" food bowl being washed and having fresh in it twice a day.

She loved her Whiskers and attacks it with gusto but just doesn't eat much. I'll try and experiment and also try her on some cat milk.

Two things she will never turn down are her dentabits and her whiskers salmon temptations

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
06-02-2007, 11:14 PM   #9

Cassie will just play around with the Whiskas in jelly or gravy but always clears her dish with Whiskas Supermeat............

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: some
06-02-2007, 11:34 PM   #10

I have two cat who are going on ten and Tilly who can be picky and not eat is eating about 3-4 pouches a day I am trying to fed her up as she is on the thin side and can go off her food fairly regularly so when she is eating I givce her as much as she will eat.
Buster is rather fat at the moment and eat two pouch a day but would happily eat more and has been known to polish off what Tilly has let if I don't pick it up quick enough.

Don't worry about asking lots of question it shows that you are doing the best you can and care alot for Pousse.

Sally