Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Worlds No 1 Moggy and 2 Selkirk Rex
04-02-2007, 08:02 PM   #1

"missing" the litter tray

Pousse is very clean and knows where her tray is but she doesn't really squat properly. She tries to pee in the corners but as she stands "up" rather than squats, this means her aim has been off a little and she sometimes misses the tray.

Any ideas on sorting this out? She has a large tray which is fairly deep (about 5/6inches). She does get herself upset when she misses too and becomes quite agitated

Thanks

Soupie.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
04-02-2007, 08:07 PM   #2

Re: "missing" the litter tray

Have you tried a covered tray?? I find covered trays invaluable for messy kitties

Catsey Senior

04-02-2007, 08:11 PM   #3

I have considered it but as I said she stands full height and I am worried that she will be put off using one as the only ones I have seen are not very roomy inside? What do you think?

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
04-02-2007, 08:14 PM   #4

I was going to suggest the same Fran

Cassie has a covered tray and I find them excellent ....... it would be ideal if Pousse has a habit of missing the tray...they are a lot more hygienic too....

You can get one in Argos, quite reasonable....

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
04-02-2007, 08:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupie
I have considered it but as I said she stands full height and I am worried that she will be put off using one as the only ones I have seen are not very roomy inside? What do you think?
I think she would adapt to squatting easy enough ........ does she squat when she poops?

Cassie is 10years old and she has plenty of room to move around in her tray.....

Catsey Senior

04-02-2007, 08:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags
I think she would adapt to squatting easy enough ........ does she squat when she poops?
I don't know as she won't poop when I am in the room - she is extremely timid and according the notes that came with her from the rescue centre she is very nervous of change and can react quite badly!

I'm willing to give it a go but don't want to scare her off if you know what I mean?

I've seen those ones with lips on around the edge and wonder if that might be help but then I have images of her weeing on the lip! She's been here a week and done it twice but having watching her pee I could see it happening again if she wees too close to the edge

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
04-02-2007, 08:28 PM   #7

I think a covered tray would be best. Donna has the same trouble with one of her girls. If they don't squat you risk very stinky walls!
btw I'd remove the 'cat flap' door on the cover unless Pousse is used to a catflap - just make life easy and let her pop in and out through a space rather than a flap

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
04-02-2007, 08:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupie
I don't know as she won't poop when I am in the room - she is extremely timid and according the notes that came with her from the rescue centre she is very nervous of change and can react quite badly!
I am wondering if she might actually feel 'safer' and more private in a covered litter tray? Worth a go?

Catsey Senior

04-02-2007, 08:56 PM   #9

Will pop up to the pet store tomorrow - they have them on sale at the moment. It is worth a go definitely. She is just so nervous I find myself at a loss as I have always had feral/stable kittens which I have brought up from a young age and never had a cat this nervous at this age so it's all a bit new.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
04-02-2007, 09:01 PM   #10

Soupie, how old is Pousse? She's probably stressed at being in a new home; I think the covered tray without the door is a great suggestion, and do hope it works for you! Let is know how she's doing with it!