Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Moggies & Ragdoll
09-01-2007, 08:47 PM   #1

Sick Persian

Don't know if anyone can help, but my Mom's persian cat Vallie is losing masses of weight. She is rapidly disappearing. She has been to the vets and had millions of tests - the vet says she is just old and is dying. For a while she was very depressed and not eating, the vet gave her steriods which made her ravenously hungry, but it was just going in one end and out the other. My mom has now stopped with the steroids as she can't bear Vallie being starving all the time. Vallie is now back to eating normally but is still losing weight and the food is just passing through her. Someone mentioned to my Mom that is might be a digestive problem and suggested homeopathy. Has anyone had anything that sounds remotely like this? Vallie is fine in herself, still agile and purrs like a motorboat. We would never forgive ourselves if we had overlooked something

Any advice appreciated

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
09-01-2007, 08:48 PM   #2

Re: Sick Persian

How old is Vallie?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
09-01-2007, 08:49 PM   #3

How old is Vallie?

09-01-2007, 08:53 PM   #4

We are not sure as she is a rescue, but we believe she is about 14

Catsey Veteran

09-01-2007, 08:54 PM   #5

14 is a good age

Has she been tested for thyroid and kidney problems during the tests she's had?

Does she have outside access? Live with other cats?

Just so we can get an idea of the background...

09-01-2007, 08:58 PM   #6

she has been tested for thyroid, kidneys and liver and they are all clear. she does not go outside. she lives with a 7 month old ragdoll who also does not go outside. Originally the problem manifested itself by her passing undigested food, that was last October time. A homeopathic person we spoke to suggested it may be a problem with her enzymes, but she had only treated people and not cats

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
09-01-2007, 08:59 PM   #7

This all sounds rather a similar senario to what I went through with my old girl lucky. All her tests came back normal and they really hadn't a clue what was wrong with her except 'old age' and she was displaying similar symptoms to what you are describing. It was suggested that she may have had a tumour in her bowel as one vet did seem to think she may have felt something suspicious but at 18 years of age I wasn't prepared to let them open her up and in the end I made the heart breaking decision to have her pts

Has Vallie been tested for PKD - something which has a high incidence amongst persians I believe? it's a kidney problem.

One thing I will say to you though, is purring can often be a sign of illness in cats it's not always associated with them being happy as many people think.

I do hope that someone can come up with more suggestions for you...it must be a heartbreaking time for you all

09-01-2007, 09:07 PM   #8

thanks for that - will check out PKD - you never know. Did not know about the purring thing - mind you Vallie has always been very vocal so we would not know the difference

she may well just be old, but you have to try everything don't you

Catsey Veteran

09-01-2007, 09:10 PM   #9

I'm really sorry Sherbert, but I don't have any better advice to offer. I hope that someone else on here can help you.

I would say that I'm a big believer in alternative therapies and did an animal aromatherapy course last year. If you and your mum believe in homeopathic remedies then perhaps that is something worth pursuing further. There is a good booik by Richard Allport called "Heal your cat the natural way" which I recommend.

Good luck and keep us posted.

09-01-2007, 09:15 PM   #10

thanks very much - will check out that book. We appreciate all the advice and will keep let you know how things go