Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Lexi & Eddie
03-01-2007, 01:38 PM   #1

Wet or Dry?

There seems to be a lot of different views on feeding wet or dry. I feed my kittens on wet 4/5 times a day and they have dry available 24/7. I was talking to someone at work yesterday and they looked after a neighbours cat recently that only got fed on dry twice a day.

I didn't think this was very nice for the cat to be honest. Surely eating the same thing day in day out for your whole life is incredibly boring!

Even with my ferrets I feed them 4 different types of dry food along with their daily meat. I would hate it if I had to eat the same stuff all the time (unless it was chocolate... ... then I may be persuaded!)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 Moggies
03-01-2007, 01:53 PM   #2

Re: Wet or Dry?

Mine are fed dry 2/3 times a day. Cos of the colder weather coming in I've started giving wet food in the morning with a dish of dry, dry available all day and a little bit of wet mixed with dry in the evenings.

In the warmer months I avoid giving wet food as it does encourage the flies a bit.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: All black and white and tortie's
03-01-2007, 01:57 PM   #3

All my cats are on dry. Simons on a presciption only diet for struvite crystals which is getting harder to maintain as they have there food down all the time. They just went off there wet food. My friend took her cat marmaduke to vets yesterday the vet said if a male un-neutered indoor cat is on dry food it is more likely to form struvite crystals this is a fact that my vet didnt tell me.

Catsey Junior

03-01-2007, 03:35 PM   #4

Do you vary the dry food you give them?

I can understand about the wet feeding during the warmer months. I feed the ferrets meat late in the evening during the summer so will probably do the same for the cats as well as they will be older by then and wont need feeding so much.

I gave them chicken for the first time yesterday and they loved it! I have the scratches on the back of my legs to prove it too!! They couldn't wait for me to give them more, they were trying to climb me to get it quicker! lol

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
03-01-2007, 04:50 PM   #5

My 2 boys get fed dry food 24/7 and wet food once in the morning and again at night. Tedd ie doesn't get any dry and is fed fish morning and night.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 of the most gorgeous moggiebeasts
03-01-2007, 05:02 PM   #6

I feed both, and have done for years. When not pregnant or nursing, a cat in my house has dry down all the time (I do try to vary the flavours) and gets a pouch of wet in the morning and one in the evening.

Sashimi is, of course, nursing the kittens at the moment and is being fed on demand. She has dry down all the time (kitten) and is getting wet pouches when she asks for them (3-4 times a day, also kitten).

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 Moggies
03-01-2007, 05:17 PM   #7

I do vary flavours but my cats only seem to like the Tesco's own dry food and won't eat the fish flavoured foods.

Catsey Junior

03-01-2007, 05:33 PM   #8

My kittens are given tesco kitten biscuits but that was purely because I couldn't find any other dry food other than Go cat at the time, they like them so I have stuck with them.

What wet food would you all recommend for kittens?

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Three domestic short haired cats
hamish is Male
03-01-2007, 10:17 PM   #9

I used to feed all my cats dry complete, usualy brekkies salmon,trout and pilchard flavour and they loved it. i found it easy to use and i could leave out all day for them to go to it as they wanted. I had to stop using it as Willow developed stones in her bladder and is on s/d, so both mine are on moist diets. it was a nightmare to get her to eat wet food, it was days before she started to eat. I feed mines in the morning and when i get in at about 5

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 cats
05-01-2007, 12:38 PM   #10

My two are fed only twice a day usually a mixture of wet and dry but I do give them fish and chicken fairly regularly.