Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
20-12-2006, 08:33 PM   #1

Litter training the Diva

Have started a new thread coz its not fair of me to hijack some one elses.
Just a thought I'd like to run past you all really at the mo.
I was thinking, as I have been trying to solve this issue with Eva for well over a year now and some of you know I have tried almost everything including keeping a diary or several.
What about I post updates here on what I am currently trying and the outcome, maybe some of you can pick up on something I am missing???
Would any of you be willing to help me here coz i really am all out of ideas. I am resigned to picking up her poo parcels but sometimes Graham loses patients with her. He doesnt shout at her or anything but he will whine at me about it and I am sure she can pick up on all that too.
She would never be under threat of being rehomed or anything because of this, we love her too much and no one else would put up with her to be honest. But I said before we love her warts and all, surely SHE would be happier if we could find a resolution to this though.
So what do you all think?

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
20-12-2006, 09:29 PM   #2

Re: Litter training the Diva

Elaine I think that's a good idea to put regular updates in this thread.... I've never experienced anything like this but I am more than willing to cooperate and throw any ideas at you that come to mind

I really hope you find a solution to this .....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
20-12-2006, 10:04 PM   #3

Count me in too Elaine, definitely willing to help get to the 'bottom' of this (sorry).

Catsey Veteran

20-12-2006, 10:13 PM   #4

Thanx guys, will give a run down of all I have tried to date and may even try some things again, will keep you informed of what I am currently trying and we will take it from there.
Thanx so much, we may just get to the heart of the problem yet .

Catsey Veteran

20-12-2006, 10:16 PM   #5

Has she had this problem since you got her Elaine, or is it a fairly recent development?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
20-12-2006, 10:24 PM   #6

Sounds like a great idea Elaine...I'll help if I can. Hopefully between us all we might just crack it?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
20-12-2006, 10:24 PM   #7

Does she have access to outside at all Elaine?

Catsey Veteran

20-12-2006, 10:48 PM   #8

Eva wasnt the best as a kitten but it became more often as she was reaching a year old. She is now 2 years and 6 months old. At first we thought it might have had something to do with Winston and his CRF as his pee could sometimes smell a bit. She doesnt have regular access to outside because we live in the city centre. When we are home and its daylight we let her out for a bit, we do have a very high walled back garden.
We had her checked to rule out medical issues.
She has never wee'd outside of the litter box. When she does go for a wee though, she obviously doesnt like the feel under her feet coz she jumps out very fast once she is done. That said we have tried all kinds of litter, litter boxes, feliway, trays together, trays apart, trays in different rooms.
Currently we have a tray in the bedroom, living room, kitchen and bathroom. The one in the bedroom has carpet in it with a light dusting of catlitter, so far she aint touched it. The one in the living room has catsan fine granuals, the one in the kitchen has a paper based litter and the one in the bathroom has comfypet wood pellets. She has chosen to use the one in the living room to wee in, but still jumps out quickly once she is done. When I catch her in a tray, I praise her, just a little "good girl" kind of thing.
Have today bought a corner litter box but havent set it out anywhere as yet. Was thinking of putting some litter in it and placing it in the bedroom beside the carpet tray.

Catsey Veteran

20-12-2006, 10:50 PM   #9

Have you looked into the method of teaching her to use a proper toilet? I have seen the training aids advertised, maybe as she doesn't like using a tray, this could be another option.

Catsey Veteran

20-12-2006, 10:52 PM   #10

I did think about this when Dinahsmum was doing it with her kitties but never got round to ordering the stuff. It may just be an idea though as she responds quite well to clicker training. One to look into a bit further.