Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggie monsters (1 with Wings)
05-11-2006, 06:05 PM   #1

treat ideas?

i was wondering if anyone could give me some ideas of healthy treats i could get the kittens? not necessarily pet shop bought, but just things i could pick up from the supermarket? i did give them some sardines last night which the went mad for, but it got me thinking about what else i could be giving them every now and again alongside their usual cat food?

im a vegetarian so id prefer not to be buying and cooking joints of meat though il do it occassionaly(some of my other pets enjoy the occasional bit of meat too!) is there any veg or fruit they could have in small quantities? anything else in the tinned meat/fish variety? or other non meat treats to give?

heaven knows every time we sit down for dinner they are always trying to steal whatever we have on our plates! especially Raven-he practically climbs onto our plates while we're eating

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
05-11-2006, 06:08 PM   #2

Re: treat ideas?

My cats love the natures menu treats, they go mad for them, and they are not interest interested in other threats (felix, whiskers etc)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
05-11-2006, 06:11 PM   #3

Keep a bag of frozen prawns in the freezer - they only take a few minutes to thaw on a bit of kitchen paper and the kits will absolutely loooooove them!
They will like cheese too, but only little bits.
All my cats have liked 'sunday lunch' - potatoes vegetables meat scraps and gravy ... not so easy if you're not cooking a sunday roast! Most seem to like the taste of tomato and the texture of pasta, so spaghetti etc goes down well.
I'll stop now - will be getting told off for leading you astray!

http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp...p=ZNxdm824YYGB

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: SHD x3 and LHD X1
05-11-2006, 09:44 PM   #4

Small chunks of a mild cheese, tinned tuna and chicken breast! My kitten loves these treats every once in a while. To be honest i have never bought actual 'cat treats' because i cant seem to find many that are kitten friendly, they are all for adult cats.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
05-11-2006, 09:46 PM   #5

I buy my cats some frozen cod from time to time. Can cook from frozen in about 4 minutes and the cats go mad for the smell too!!

Cats owned: Norwegian Forest
05-11-2006, 09:51 PM   #6

My kitten has the cat treats from these people most of them are suitable for kittens, and he goes MAD for the milky-flakum things Doesnt matter where he is in the house, one rustle of that bag will have him at our feet in milli-seconds!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
05-11-2006, 09:54 PM   #7

None of mine have ever cared for the comercial "cat treats". Sardines. prawns, people tuna, cheese (preferably aged cheddar!), chicken or ham are eagerly devoured. Although picky Ms. Leia doesn't care for the tuna or chicken....

Catsey Senior

08-11-2006, 08:47 PM   #8

Thankyou for all the ideas guys-i picked them up a can of tuna which i might give them tonight i did look for frozen prawns but couldnt find them-not very good at searching for meat products will have another look tomorrow though!

ive actually asked the pet shop to get some natures menu treats in so i will try them too. i did get a couple of different whiskas treats for them-one they go absolutely nuts for and i got them some yoghurt drops which they love too. also got them some good girls 100% fish treats-didnt realise they would be actual dry complete fish they didnt seem to like them much though.

oh well, got plenty of time to discover what their favourite treats are!

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
08-11-2006, 09:22 PM   #9

Sounds like they are being spoilt rotten....and why not!!

Catsey Senior

08-11-2006, 09:30 PM   #10

they are indeed i wrote the animals Christmas present list last night-at this rate there wont be any money leftover for pressies for anyone else