Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: domestic shorthair
02-11-2006, 04:56 AM   #1

Cat going to the bathroom outside box?

Ok, heres the story with Cotton.

She's 10 months old, got her awhile back from some friends who didn't want her. She's been wonderful about using her litter box.

Then at about 7-8 months old, we decide to get her declawed and fixed. (all four paws, by the way). Anyway, she goes to have that done, and afterwards, as per the vets instructions, we change her litter (which was usually FreshStep by...dont' remember the name just now) to shredded newspaper for 2.5 weeks. We take her back for her checkup, and she is doing fine. We take her home, and change her litter back to the FreshStep, and about half the time she'd go in her box, and half the time she'd go on my bed, or on the floor. (Very aggrivating.) Talked to the vet, because she was crying when she had to go. They decided she had a UTI. So I took her in, got her the pills for it, she took them all, and hasnt' cried when she goes ever since.

BUT, she'll still go outside her litter box. The vet thinks it might be the type of litter, so I changed it. Same thing happens. And actually most of the time she goes on the floor now. (Which is really inconvenient, since I'm renting, and don't own my apartment lol) Anyway, I am at my wits end. I just got home tonight, and she's gone on the floor again. The vet had also recommended putting her in a small space with her food and litter box and keeping her there for a few weeks until she "learns" to use the box again. I've tried that, didn't work either. (Although I just put her in there again tonight. I can't think of what else to do.) I read a few articles on the internet tonight, and havent' really come up wtih anything. Has anyone had this problem with their cats? And has it been cured? Most of the people who had problems, their cats only urinated on the floor. Mine does both! I'm absolutely out of ideas, and the vet doesn't know either.

Honestly don't know how much more of this I can take, even though I'd never give her up. Can anyone help, or has anyone heard of anything? Anything would be appreciated! Thanks!

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
02-11-2006, 10:13 AM   #2

Re: Cat going to the bathroom outside box?

Hi Jenna, a few members here have also had the same problem with their cats in the past. Have a look at this link to a thread where we discussed this problem earlier this year......
http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php...ide+litter+box

I hope it will give you a few tips as to what to try.....it must be so frustrating for you. Good luck, please let us know how you get on.......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
02-11-2006, 10:21 AM   #3

I think the problem might be the de-clawing. It's actually illegal in the UK as it's quite destructive (potentially) both physically and mentally.

Apart from that, the discussion in Mags' link should hopefully help.

Good luck - please do let us know how you get on.

Cats owned: domestic shorthair
02-11-2006, 11:58 AM   #4

I think I'm going to go ahead and buy a second litter box for the poor dear, and put it right by where she's been going the most. We'll see if that helps, and I'll also try changing the litter to something else the vet recommended. I will definitely keep you all posted as to what happens! Thanks for the link to the other page.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
02-11-2006, 12:01 PM   #5

I hope you find a way of overcoming this problem....good luck!