Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
12-10-2006, 07:57 PM   #1

Out of ideas now!

I am at my wits end here now. As you probably know, on the advice of the vet we have tried feeding Teddy and Cooper on adult food and Coop has had no probs in 2 days, nice normal stools. Teddy however is still running (after one normal) and is back to squirting out the back end. I have tried RC kitten, asda kitten, whiskas kitten , HiLife, and boiled ckicken and rice. What now!??????

He seems happy enough (though it's hard to tell with that wee grumpy face), eats and drinks no probs. Plays with Cooper and seems to be growing. It is just the rear end which is causing all the worry. At the moment I simply can't afford any vets fees for tests and antibiotics so I don't know what else to try. Any, no matter how nutty, suggestions!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
12-10-2006, 08:07 PM   #2

Re: Out of ideas now!

Have you tried starving him for 12 hours? Maybe he just needs to get some bug out of his system rather than it being food-related.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
12-10-2006, 08:12 PM   #3

Hadn't thought of that, Yola but it makes sense! It's recommeded for people when we have diarrhea....Will Teddy eat a little cheese, sometimes that can be binding....

Catsey Veteran

12-10-2006, 08:26 PM   #4

Well yola I give him his last meal around 7pm and he doesn't get his next one until 7.30 am, so that is 12 hours. I might try leaving him until mid-day tomorrow and see if that helps.

Dm- never tried that so he is tucking into some cheese as we speak. How much do you think I should give him?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
12-10-2006, 08:35 PM   #5

You may also want to do some research on the use of slippery elm bark and discuss your findings with your vet before using it. Its very good for helping with both runny tums and constipation. I used to use it to help my old boy with his constipation. He had CRF so the link I will find and post is from the CRF site. Always worth a little investigation though.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
12-10-2006, 08:36 PM   #6

http://www.felinecrf.org/holistic_treatments.htm#SEB

Catsey Veteran

12-10-2006, 08:40 PM   #7

Thanks Elaine, someone else mentioned slippery elm bark before and I was going to get some but he seemed to improve for a little while and I forgot about it. Will check out the link thanks!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
12-10-2006, 08:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgirl73
Well yola I give him his last meal around 7pm and he doesn't get his next one until 7.30 am, so that is 12 hours. I might try leaving him until mid-day tomorrow and see if that helps.

Dm- never tried that so he is tucking into some cheese as we speak. How much do you think I should give him?
Gosh, really don't know! He's a little fellow, wouldn't give him more than one or two bites; I never used cheese for the runs for mine as I was fortunate they never had that problem cheese was a treat for them.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
12-10-2006, 10:13 PM   #9

Misty always has the runs when I give her cheese (although she does love it) so be careful. If it was my cat I would just stop all cat food completely. Leave as long a break as I could - 24 hours being the best - and then just plain steamed cod or plain chicken.

You are not giving them milk at all are you as this causes diarreah in a lot of cats?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
13-10-2006, 08:42 AM   #10

It was me who mentioned slippery elm before. You can get it direct from Dorwest but I found this link which also gives indications and dosage http://www.veggiepets.com/acatalog/d...ks_powder.html