Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Bengal
Max is Male
07-10-2006, 10:17 AM   #1

Bengal Rescue

Over the course of the last few months, I've been looking into rehoming a Bengal. I've been on to a few of the rescue sites and was astounded to see that one rescue, is asking for a donation of £150. This makes it impossible for a lot of people, who may be able to offer loving homes, to make a difference to the health and welfare of this "designer" breed. I'd be interested to know other peoples thoughts on this matter.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
07-10-2006, 02:27 PM   #2

Re: Bengal Rescue

You would probably have to pay more than double that for a Bengal from a breeder

If you have your heart set on a Bengal I think £150 would be a very fair price to pay regardless of whether it was from a Rescue organisation or not..

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Moggies
07-10-2006, 02:38 PM   #3

In a way, I can't understand why they are more as they dont generally cost more than a moggie to keep in a rescue, but in a way I can, as a lot of these cats end up in rescues cos they look stunning but people can't deal with them being so high energy, so by raising the price, you do rule out people who would just want them for looks. There may be a better way of doing it though. And by the rescue having money, more of that breed can be helped.
Plus, as Mags points out, you woudln't pay that price for one through a breeder unless they were a very poor one.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
08-10-2006, 04:29 PM   #4

The rescues do need the money - and as a pedigree they are justified in upping the price a bit where they can.

Almost a Veteran Member

08-10-2006, 07:35 PM   #5

That's where I slightly disagree - I know rescues need money, the rescue i foster for told me how much our vet bill for last month was, and it more than half of what we raised on our last fundraiser - but it doesnt cost a Bengal rescue much more to look after theirs than it does for us to look after a moggy, except we cant afford to vaccinate and chip. Tom has personally cost me over £100 this year, never mind how much the rescue spent on food and litter, but we will get £35 for him this week. And even when we get pedigrees in, we dont charge more - but I may recommend it. And I understand upping hte price a bit, but over £100 more than most rescues??

Max is Male
12-10-2006, 01:05 PM   #6

It's been very interesting to read your points of view. After giving the matter serious consideration, I've decided to go to a multi-cat rescue, as these appear to be the rescues that receive the least financial assistance. I'd be more than willing to donate more than the requested adoption fee, as long as I was sure it was being used for the benefit of the cats.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
13-10-2006, 01:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booktigger
...so by raising the price, you do rule out people who would just want them for looks.
Uhhh... How? Seems to me there are more people with money and "designer" pets, than poor people. I'm sure I'm just misunderstanding what you mean...

Almost a Veteran Member

13-10-2006, 09:15 PM   #8

It is the only way I can think of that rescues can justify charging more for a pedigree than a moggy, as in the majority of cases, they dont cost more to care for. Sadly, yes there are too many people who get animals for their looks, but I think they would tend to go through breeders than to a rescue.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: DSH tabby mog
25-10-2006, 11:43 PM   #9

Have you asked the rescue concerned how they spend the money they receive?
They have to ensure each cat is well cared for whilst in the rescue, and that they are going out in good condition.
I do not know the detail myself, but I don't find the donation to be especially surprising.

Catsey Junior

27-10-2006, 03:24 PM   #10

As I posted on Cat Chat last week, we are a community interest company.

Our cats leave us microchipped, vaccinated (including FeLV), blood tested if need be for FeLV, frontlined, drontaled and insured when they leave us. They also leave our care with a pack of goodies, beds, food, toys, and quite often a carrier.

Why? Because that is our policy and it important to us our cats get the best possible start in their new home, as a rescue we are 5-6 people strong. We all work full time in other occupations and we sadly do not have enough time to do loads of fundraising, in fact this Xmas I have (personally) designed and bought soem calenders to raise some funds.

The donations don't cover our costs, we still have insurance to pay, web hosting to pay, extraordinary vet bills for those bengals thrown from cars or out of blocks of flats, the bottom line is that is my wages that covers those costs.

I think it terrible that other cat rescue with mainly moggies can't charge more as I have no idea how you cover your costs and keep going.

I'd love to have a team of people fund raising for us, doing table top sales etc but we're yet to find such people.