Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
26-09-2006, 09:52 AM   #1

Keeping the cats IN the garden!

How?

The kittens have been playing happily in the garden for some weeks now, but recently they have became interested in wandering.

Today Vitaani wandered into next door's tree where she got the fright of her life when she came across their golden retriver! She is used to our dogs and obviously thought it would be ok, untill it saw her!

They were very nice and took their dog inside so I could coax her down, but how on earth can I keep them in our garden? Is there anything I can put up on the fence that would actually work?

I'm just so afraid what might happen to them if they wander, with animal cruelty and kidnapping at an all time high, it's just frightening.

Tucker is booked in to be neutered next week, and the girls still need to be a little older before they can be done but they will all be done as soon as they are old enough, which brings me onto another thread...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
26-09-2006, 10:03 AM   #2

Re: Keeping the cats IN the garden!

You can put extension bars, which point inward, on the top of the fence and then put netting on them. The cats can't negotiate the overhang. Dawn (Borderdawn) has done it - I'm sure she'll tell you more about it when she comes on.

Catsey Veteran

26-09-2006, 10:04 AM   #3

Oh brilliant, thanks DM i'll wait for her reply

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: moggies
26-09-2006, 03:11 PM   #4

You can also `create` a territory boundary which can help reinforce an overhang on fencing as the limit. Cats mark their territories with toiletting [ ever wondered why the neighbours moan that cats dont toilet in their own gardens - cats boundaries tend to sort of meet so some people will have loads of neighbourhood cats using their garden and others will be completely clear of poops ].

To help `create` a territory, take whats in their litter tray/s [ solids ], and put bits along the fence line [ every few yards should do it ]. Its biodegradable, but if not keen, get some containers, put a little soil or sand in and drop some solids on top.
[ Ensure any resident or visiting children dont think they are for making sandcastles !! ].

It will also help create a boundary to other cats which can usually stop them coming in to yours and beating them up.

Once established as their boundary they tend to self regulate how far they will go beyond that, if at all. Dont forget though, you would have to include easy exits / gates and front garden or lawn as well - no point doing the back if letting the cat out the front door / windows as well !

Catsey Veteran

26-09-2006, 03:17 PM   #5

I've never heard that before Patch - very interesting!
And if you have 2 cats do you put alternate lumps of poo (assuming you can tell whose is which ). Might there be any danger in trying to do it if you have more than one (like putting more of one cat's poo than the other and making the 'less favoured' one feel unconfident about their right to be in the garden)?

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: moggies
26-09-2006, 04:00 PM   #6

Hi dinahsmum,

No, it doesnt need to be an even split between each mogs poops, the scents tend to mingle in the tray anyway especially when wee`s spread within the litter, and if the mogs are related they will have a similar genetic `output` which they can recognise, but will have a recognition if not related as well simply through using the same tray and sharing scents around the home anyway. If anything, it helps create confidence through familiarity when coming across a housemates `boundary marking` rather than a cat from outside the family unit / rightful residents.

It was a book by Roger Tabor which gave me the initial insight and interest in how boundary marking works, he writes some fascinating observations on cat and dog behaviours.

For instance, he wrote also on the reason cats appear to `play` with mice etc, that its not just a cruel moggy game but is because of a blind spot beneath cats noses so they bat things around to keep their prey fully in sight until they can get in a `kill` shot though in many domestic pet cats they tend to have the instinct for hunting without needing the end result of eating what they have caught so often leave live but injured birds and mice behind.
Domestic cats are more likely to appear like its a game because they are often given toys to play with and that can mix with the hunting instinct. Ferals which are dependant on food sources tend to deal with their prey much faster because they are more practised through the sheer need to prevent prey escaping so become more adept at it.

[ I hate that cats do it without needing the food source so not saying its ok, just explaining the `whys` if you see what I mean ].

Catsey Veteran

26-09-2006, 04:40 PM   #7

Interesting - thanks.
(May print the explanation to show the neighbours, as I skulk around with a trowel and little pot of poo!!!!!!)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
26-09-2006, 04:57 PM   #8

Mmm dont think I fancy a line of any type of poo round my garden! although I appreciate it may work in some circumstances.

I did the fence overhang very easily and it works a treat. I used wood to make an angle bracket, then screwed the mesh onto the top of it and along the top of the fence, here, I took a couple pics, to help you see what I mean, not the best pics but you should get the idea.

The Cats cannot get out as they just meet the mesh if they try to get up the fence, but will allow cats on the outside to come over, I have unfortunately had this problem once and also I had a Fox in the garden that couldnt get out too, he was after my Bunny!!! It took me ages to get the Cat out as he was by the gate and I couldnt open it for him, I did eventually and he left unharmed.
Dawn.

Catsey Veteran

26-09-2006, 06:49 PM   #9

Thanks Patch and Dawn.

Thanks for the pictures Dawn, I have a full roll of that mesh spare in the shed from when we made the old rabbit hutches, I will deffinately give that a go! Thanks again!

Patch, I think i'd much prefer mesh around the fence as a pose to poo, as i'm not sure the neighbours who share the adjoining fence would be too pleased, but if the mesh doesn't work as desired I will give it a go.

*Imagines DM with her pot of poo*

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
26-09-2006, 07:01 PM   #10

Well I am looking for a way to keep cats out of the garden, as Cleo has got older and now she has not white and ginger protector in Oscar I have noticed in the last few months that we are being visited by a large BW Tom and a large Black Tom. I don't mind to much as they don't come in the day when the dogs are out and about but in the evening and Cleo is reluctant to go out - I assume as they have marked the garden as their territory. So I am looking for ways to keep cats out. Any ideas?