Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
25-09-2006, 05:14 PM   #1

Teddy still has 'the runs'

After improving during the week on the chicken a nd fish diet, as soon as we started reintroducing RC kitten he started running again. Spoke to my vets who said just keep him on dry food and spoke to another who said he should be on wet! Help!

I've bought some HiLife kitten wet food and am going to try him on that for a few days, but does anyone have any advice on whether wet or dry will be better for him or any other way to try and help solidify his poo.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
25-09-2006, 05:24 PM   #2

Re: Teddy still has 'the runs'

Slippery Elm powder?
Used to treat diarrhoea in humans and animals
You may be able to get it locally at a health food shop.
If not, Dorwest (You'll find it if you google) do veterinary grade herbs and such and have a next day service.
Just mix a little with water and add to the food, or just sprinkle into wet food. You'd only need a tiny bit for a kitten.
If you don't have any luck PM me your address and I'll post you a few spoonful of powder, but it wouldn't reach you till Wednesday at the earliest.

Catsey Veteran

25-09-2006, 05:37 PM   #3

Cheers Dm will go up the shops first thing and try the HFS. Can't buy over the internet, so if I have no luck will def PM you. Thanks

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
25-09-2006, 05:49 PM   #4

Dont keep chopping and changing food as this is a cause of upset tummy in itself - just a thought.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: moggys
25-09-2006, 08:57 PM   #5

i had the same problem with daisy about a month or so ago took her to the vets and she was given a prebiotics called PRO-KOLIN to give her for 3-4 days i have to starve her for a few hours then start her on science plan (id) prescription diet its a recovery food for four days then slowly introduce her other food back into her diet she`s fine know i feed her on pro plan kitten because the whiskers food was too rich for her hope teddy is better soon

Catsey Veteran

26-09-2006, 10:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna
Dont keep chopping and changing food as this is a cause of upset tummy in itself - just a thought.

We were feeding him the food we were told he was on when we got him, RC kitten but he had the major runs, so when we went to the vets we were told to put him onto plain chicken and fish and rice for a few days adn then slowly reintroduce the RC. Fine on the chicken, started to solidify but as soon as we brought the RC back in , the runs started again. So we sought advice from various other people and the advice was conflicting. One said wet, another said dry

HOWEVER! We have had him on HiLife wet kitten food for the last day and a half, and miracle of miracles, the runs 'seem' to have stopped. There is no more dripping and his last poo was semi-solid, so here's hoping!

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
26-09-2006, 10:05 PM   #7

Glad to hear things are starting to improve Alex........

Catsey Veteran

27-09-2006, 09:04 AM   #8

Sounds hopeful

Catsey Veteran

27-09-2006, 02:39 PM   #9

By Jove, I think we've cracked it!

He had an almost normal poo this morning. Lots of shape and proper colour (sorry if anyones eating) So fingers crossed, it looks like that is one less problem. He is like a different cat from the one we brought home. He is playing with toys now and running about like a loony. Will keep him on HiLife wet for the time being and see if things continue to improve.

Catsey Veteran

27-09-2006, 02:39 PM   #10

Sad thing is, we all understand your delight!
Good news!