Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: .
Luke is Male
08-09-2006, 01:55 PM   #1

Cat chasing...by a dog-thought i'd ask your advice!

Right///i know its not a conventional cat behaviour issue, but its a behaviour issue concerning the cat! And thought i'd ask as i know we have many mutli species household on catsey...all our canine n feline friends have lived harmoniouslly...but ralph (5 n a half month old English Springer pup) really chases Clementine something wrotten now. They were best buds before...and he was allways very respectful of her etc, but lately-EVERY time he see's her he chases, not out of nastiness-just chases! So its really difficult them being together without someone ending up going off in a stompy and sulking! (pets wise)
I know its more or less a puppy thing to chase cats...and i know, given time he will probably grow out of it-but due to his size and sheer clumsy nature..i am a little bit worried that one day he could, unintentionally, hurt Clementine-so any ideas?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
08-09-2006, 02:01 PM   #2

Re: Cat chasing...by a dog-thought i'd ask your advice!

Try training discs Luke?
I think they're just fab for getting over 'don't do that behaviour - it's not acceptable', without making the dog wary of you or totally naffed off with your voice saying leave it. Lots of references on Dogsey I'm sure - or google.
About a fiver, come with an 'instruction leaflet, probably worth a try.'

edit: here's a link http://www.canineconcepts.co.uk/ccp5...ng-discs.shtml

Sadly Missed

Cats owned: Moggie
08-09-2006, 03:33 PM   #3

Or 'clicker' training', You might find www.crosskeysbooks.com an interesting site, lots of doggy (and cat) books and training aids, but he is a springer and he is just doing what springers do best - having fun, which you are going to have to re-direct before he gets much bigger and heavier. Good Luck - I do envy you your pup, they are such fun Logoes

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
08-09-2006, 05:40 PM   #4

Hey Luke, I believe these "e-collars" are good! (ducks for cover)
DAwn.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: .
Luke is Male
08-09-2006, 06:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderdawn
Hey Luke, I believe these "e-collars" are good! (ducks for cover)
DAwn.
Well you know i was thinking about one...or one of those *great* electro shock box thingys....all great!
*BTW folks-Dawn and i ARE joking*
I shall give those training discs a go i think

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
08-09-2006, 06:40 PM   #6

Discs are great Luke, I have some here, I used them for teaching the dogs not to pick stuff up when they are out, you can have them if you want them, they are the exact same ones as on that link, let me know, cos I will have to find them!
Dawn.