Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: longhair
06-09-2006, 02:26 PM   #1

Raw feeding and hunting

Hi folks!
I'm still here and will posst some pictures of Lily soon. she's a gorgeous cat but has recently attacked two pigeons that flew away but were badly injured! Sounds daft but I'm wondering if feeding her raw will deter her from wanting to catch birds or is it simply what cats do? it's really distressing to hear the birds and there are feathers all over the garden...or am I just being soft?!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 Moggies
06-09-2006, 04:02 PM   #2

Re: Raw feeding and hunting

I think it's just somethng cats do.

Moli and Salt caught and ate a bird between them the other day.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
06-09-2006, 04:10 PM   #3

I don't know the answer to your question Ruth. You could theorise both ways - give them raw and they won't look for it outside/give them raw and they'll get a blood lust.
I think 'experts' say well fed housecats are actually better hunters than scrawny ferals.
You could try a bell on Lily, if she wears a collar. There's actually a movement-sensing device you can attach which gives the birds lots of warning. Can't remember what it's called but I'll try to find a link if you want?
Or you could say it's Darwin in action, and the stupid birds get caught, leaving the smarter ones to breed and improve the species.

Just one of the joys of having cats I think.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
06-09-2006, 06:45 PM   #4

Dont think you are soft, but I doubt it will make any difference, Cats will be Cats.
Dawn.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
06-09-2006, 08:54 PM   #5

It's their nature to hunt; don't think raw food will make a bit of difference. And it is actually "survival of the fittest"...improves the birds gene pool! Don't mean to sound cynical, but cats WILL hunt given the opportunity.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: longhair
07-09-2006, 07:51 AM   #6

Hi folks,
yes, you're right! Cats will be cats I suppose.
She does have a bell on her collar but she is so skillful at hunting she doesn't make a sound until she leaps and by then it's too late most of the time! If I'm in the garden at the time I can stop her but then...is that right either if she's doing what nature designed her to do??

Take care

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
07-09-2006, 05:23 PM   #7

Just let her get on with it, I say. She is a cat after all and she is just doing what is natural to her. If the bird gets caught then it is the bird's time up I am afraid.