Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 of the most gorgeous moggiebeasts
10-08-2006, 09:00 PM   #1

Eating/drinking like possessed.

Well, Choo-Choo Bear has a habit of eating like a little madcat. Fair enough, as he wasn't fed regularly in his previous home.

The thing is, he does it with water, too. I normally refresh water dishes once a day - but Choo-Choo has had me refilling his bowl once in the morning and once in the evening It is, however, a fairly shallow bowl.

Now I know he also wasn't watered properly in his previous home - could that be the reason or should I be worried about health issues? Or could it stem from the worms/fleas/general malaise? He does use his saliva to make his skin feel better at the moment - could he be trying to stay hydrated so he can do that properly?

I'm assuming that he'll calm down as he becomes used to being fed and watered regularly and properly. Am I right, or am I just going to have a little piggy on my hands?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
10-08-2006, 10:36 PM   #2

Re: Eating/drinking like possessed.

Snoof, what a fab job you are doing with this little one. I can see why he has stolen yours and Matt's heart!

From my experience of multiple cat households, I do think that some cats are greedier than others. Sidney eats far more than Rosie & Misty and he makes a mess too, however I do think that is to do with his disability. Unless you are particulalry worried I would wait and see how he goes on in the next few days, hopefully now he has been de-flead & wormed he should improve. As you get to know him better I am sure you will be able to trust your instinct as to whether he needs to see a vet. Good luck with him & well done!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 of the most gorgeous moggiebeasts
11-08-2006, 01:11 AM   #3

Thanks Kim

He does seem to feel perfectly well within himself, so I'm not too worried. Also when I visited him and saw him the first time, it was on one of those days when it was over 30 degrees and he had absolutely no water at all - so I suspect the poor mite learned to take it when it's there.

Today he learned that nobody here will hurt him and he's safe (as all cats must learn after a move - I don't think they consciously abused him), and decided the pillow in his room (about 10 times his own size ) is a perfectly safe place to sleep.

I think he'll be fine. He seems to be feeling better, although he's still drooling on himself he's nowhere near as obsessive about it. I'm just waiting for his skin to sort out and then I'll get on sorting out his fur properly

I'm just glad that I know he's being cared for properly, now.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
11-08-2006, 10:21 AM   #4

aww bless him, Maybe he just hasnt realised yet that food and water will always be given to him now.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
11-08-2006, 11:10 AM   #5

Awwwww bless him, you are both doing a excellent job he is now well loved x

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 cats
15-08-2006, 02:58 PM   #6

Little Alfie is 15 weeks old now and eats like a thing possessed. He has had all his worming tablets etc but would eat 10 times a day if I let him! He has three good meals a day which he polishes off and drinks plenty too. He is growing like a weed so I think that is why and also has competition from other animals in the house. Seems to be thriving anyway.