Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

28-06-2006, 04:59 PM   #1

What does purring mean?

I always thought that purring l..''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' ''''''''554 (Olivia removes kitten from keyboard) was a sign of happiness and contentment.

But Lightening and Bright-water have been purring like mad since they arrived. Mainly when they are with/on me.

Can they really be happy already? Or can purring be a sign of worry/distress/anxiety.

Any light you can shed will be very gratefully received.

Olivia

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
28-06-2006, 05:01 PM   #2

Re: What does purring mean?

It can be anxiety; it can be as a sort of foil to pain.
Mostly, in the situation you describe, I would say they are just a little apprehensive about their new surroundings but are confident in you.
Lovely!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
28-06-2006, 05:24 PM   #3

Purring can idicate many things. Most often associated with happiness/contentment it can also be an indicator of stress/pain/anxiety. Let them settle in a little and you will find them purring appropriately I am sure

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
28-06-2006, 05:47 PM   #4

Now i learnt soemthing here too today.
I didnt know purring can be a sign of pain etc! I just thought it menat they were happy!
Learn something everyday.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
28-06-2006, 05:50 PM   #5

As said purring is a sign of all sorts of things, I picked a Cat up out of the road once that was hit by a Car and that was purring!
Dawn.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
28-06-2006, 06:25 PM   #6

Probably upset that you're ruining their debute on catpages and limiting their freedom of expression.
I'd say DM was spot on, and if they're cuddling up to you like that, then they have adopted you as their mum, so no need to worry that the purring might be sinister in any way.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
28-06-2006, 09:09 PM   #7

My vet told me years ago that purring could also be a sign of fear, pain or anxiety in some circumstances, & told me he once had to shake a patient to get her to stop purring so he could use his stethescope! I had never heard that & was astonished. Your kittens cuddling with you & purring is a good sign...they may be a wee tad anxious but you are their mom now!! (((hugs to them)))!