Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
22-06-2006, 02:37 PM   #1

For all those green fingered members..

As you will all now by now, I am not at all domesticated where gardening is concerned I am needing some suggestions please from those of you who know about these things

I need a climber, something pretty but also something very quick growing. Hubby has agreed the rabbit run can stay because I want an outside run for Porsha. Originally he was going to take down the run and put up a wooden one not quite so high as this one really is an eyesore being metal. Anyhow, I talked hubby into keeping the metal run and adapting it to keep Porsha safe with the promise that I would grow something up it to make it more appealing to the eye as it were.

So, I need a very quick growing hardy climber which will look pretty and is not poisonous...any suggestions Pleeease?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
22-06-2006, 09:22 PM   #2

Re: For all those green fingered members..

Dont know about the toxins PK but what about huneysuckle? It grows really quickly. I bought a wee tiny bit two years ago and it's half way up my house! I'll take photo tomorrow, or what about a climitas(sp)

Catsey Veteran

22-06-2006, 09:39 PM   #3

Thanks Jac, Honeysuckle sounds nice...anyone know if it is poisonous to pets? I bought a Clematis last year and although it's doing ok I wouldn't exactly say it is very quick growing..perhaps there are other varieties which are quicker growing??

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
23-06-2006, 03:11 AM   #4

Clematis are slow growing, tend to sulk the first year. Honeysuckle is a rapid grower; can tend to take over if you don't keep it under control. Morning glory is a good choice, also cardinal climber; both are annuals.; don't know if it's too late in the season to plant. Might give it a try. I have no idea if any of these are considered poisonous to cats; have grown all of them at one time or another & never had a cat attempt to eat. Moonvine is another suggestion, plus it has the advantage of gorgeous white very fragrant flowers at night; once again, may be too late in the season for results. I'd be interested to hear what you decide!

Catsey Veteran

23-06-2006, 07:58 AM   #5

Thanks DM, I will take a trip to the garden centre and look up your suggestions. It may be too late for me to plant anything this year as I am not quite ready to plant it yet anyhow if you get my drift. I need hubby to get the top on the pen and I have to decide exactly where I am going to plant it. But I will certainly look up what you have suggested and let you know, thank you

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
23-06-2006, 08:42 AM   #6

Clematis montana is very vigorous.

You might look at a Russian Vine (Mile a Minute plant) for this year. As its name suggests it grows like heck. It's a common & cheap plant and if you don't like it a lot you could remove it next spring and put in something more beautiful.

" Fallopia, better known as Russian vine or Mile a minute plant, is a vigorous scrambling climber that can reach great heights and choke large trees. The name, "Mile a minute" is a complete figment of the imagination, but "Metre a week" is normal during the growing season.
The flowers, which appear in mid to late summer, are pretty enough, but best viewed in someone else's garden!

Care

The only care required for this plant is weekly cutting back during the summer months."

Catsey Veteran

23-06-2006, 09:22 AM   #7

Thanks DM...I'll look at the Clematis Montana.

I think the Russian Vine would be a disaster for me who doesn't regularly keep up with the garden. Sounds like it will have overtaken the whole garden by the end of the summer

Catsey Veteran

23-06-2006, 10:07 AM   #8

Fran - throw in some Nasturtium seeds now - they will grow and scramble up the netting very quickly. The first frost will do for them, so you can think about something permanent in the meantime.

Catsey Veteran

23-06-2006, 10:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahsmum
Fran - throw in some Nasturtium seeds now - they will grow and scramble up the netting very quickly. The first frost will do for them, so you can think about something permanent in the meantime.
Will the Nasturtium just grow this year or does it come back year after year? Sorry to sound so thick but I really do know nothing in this department at all

Catsey Veteran

23-06-2006, 12:35 PM   #10

Just this year Fran - they grow very quickly but are not hardy.
They'll cover the eyesore and give you time to think what you really want.

Pop a few slug pellets or some crushed eggshell down - the slugs like the tender young leaves.