Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
09-06-2006, 01:00 PM   #1

Cats and drinking

Didn't quite know whether to put this in Health, or Diet, or Behaviour, but anyway here it is.
I've just ordered a 'cat spa' in the hope of ensuring Min doesn't get dehydrated again. It sounds good - "like a dripping tap always available" - well, all cats seem to like that. Anyone any experience? *waits for 15 replies, telling me they are rubbish*
Hope it does the trick - they can be a bit stubborn can't they?

Maybe someone else has 'drink more water' tips?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
09-06-2006, 01:02 PM   #2

Re: Cats and drinking

Rover loves his. So much that he has restricted access to it, because he plays with the water until there is not enough left to run the pump safely.

Have you tried putting small containers with water all over the place? My water-rat of a cat loves "drinking out" as well. And taps, but I'm *not* leaving them running.

Flavoured water? A small amount of chicken-broth, (well-cooked!) meat-juices or something like that added to the water might make it more attractive. You have to keep on top of it, keep the bowls clean, wipe spills etc. though, as nasty bugs like to grow in the stuff as well.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
09-06-2006, 01:10 PM   #3

Well Purrdie loves a running tap! I turn it on every now and again for her.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
09-06-2006, 01:26 PM   #4

I'll be interested to see your replies DM as I can honestly say I have never seen Cassie drink from her water bowl in all the years I've had her. I too have been concerned at how little she drinks.....if these cat spas do the trick, I think I will be ordering one, too

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
09-06-2006, 01:35 PM   #5

Mags - I think young, healthy cats, eating wet food, need very little actual liquid water. It's a genetic thing, from originating as desert animals. Now, a tasty puddle, that's a different matter!
Also, they are sensitive to the presence of chemicals and find our 'treated' water distasteful (that's why a puddle is preferred)
My daughter has a 'Drinkwell' and her two (young, healthy boys) enjoy a few licks of it.

Drinking lots of fresh water is recommended not only for the well being of humans but also for cats. The Freshflow uses mains power to continuously passes water through a filter to keep it tasting clean and fresh. The movement also adds oxygen to the water naturally and the replaceable charcoal filter helps to reduce bacteria and remove contaminants. Holds 1.4Lt 12"lx8"wx6.5"h approx

RRP: £49.99
Our Price: £29.99
Save 40%

On special offer at the mo, with pet planet

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
09-06-2006, 01:39 PM   #6

Don't think many cats let us see them drinking from the waterbowl. There is quite a bit of moisture in wet food, then there's the basin or bath after someone's had a bath, the flower-vases, condensation, spillage, water from the sink, drips from the tap, the wash-basin, (the loo... - lid down for that reason, but you can't train guests. ), rain-water off shoes and boots, aquarium... long list.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
09-06-2006, 02:05 PM   #7

That looks very interesting DM and worth looking into......thanks for posting

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Black Moggie
andrew021 is Male
09-06-2006, 03:25 PM   #8

I asked my Vet as Jet never seemed to drink water.

He replied if a cat eats mainly wet food (contains 85% water) then it dosnt need extra water but if its mainly biscuits then fresh water should always be available.

To test if a cat is dehydrated the skin on the back of its neck would be tight and loose if its hydrated.

My cat never seems to drink from her water bowl, its changed every day, she always eats wet food.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: N/A
09-06-2006, 03:28 PM   #9

Tiggers not been much of a drinker! He will drink out of puddles if theres one available!
if not then drinkin out of my glass is his second fave!
Then out of his own bowl. lol

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 3 persians
09-06-2006, 05:51 PM   #10

I have the catit fountain - all mine love it