Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
17-05-2006, 01:11 PM   #1

My wobbly old floor

Having just polished my lovely old basement hallway floor, I thought I'd show it to you all. When we moved in 8 years ago, this floor was covered by a carpet (horrid green thing that was throughout most of the house). When we came to redecorate the hallway (this took some motivation as starting meant continuing up a further 4 floors ), we took the carpet up only to find a concrete floor. Thankfully it was a little chipped in the corner so I continued to chip away at it and bit by bit we discovered this beautiful floor underneath. It cleaned and polished up beautifully, and it is uneven and worn by 200 years of feet treading a patch from the basement up through the house. I just adore this fact.

It's one of my most favourite jobs in the house. Waxing the floor then polishing it up and seeing it shine!!! How sad

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
17-05-2006, 01:19 PM   #2

Re: My wobbly old floor

That is lovely!

isn't it wicked what was done to old houses (usually in the 60s?). Our old (?1880) artesan's town centre cottage (30+ years ago) (2 up/2 down) had revolting brick printed wallpaper and even worse sort of cheapo-cheapo wood laminate 'mantel' on the chimney breast, with the worst sort of electric fire in front. Removed all, took aim with a sledgehammer, etc etc ....... voila, a lovely old inglenook (OK, brick not stone, but still original) and the old iron range, smashed up and stuffed up the chimney!)

Catsey Veteran

17-05-2006, 01:32 PM   #3

It is sad DM . . . we had to replace every single fireplace in our house - not one remained only 2 gas fires that needed to be condemned (dangerous AND ugly ).

We bought a gorgeous hob grate for our 1st floor dining room fireplace (research told us that is what would have been there). We got it in a reclaimation yard in Bath and would you know it was an exact fit for the hole??? Almost as if it were destined to go in there

Thankfully the floor wasn't taken up (being in the basement it's actually just laid on the ground . . . no foundations you see ), only covered up. The only damage is small holes where the carpet grippers were nailed in

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
17-05-2006, 01:55 PM   #4

Plenty of elbow grease has gone into getting that lovely shine on the floor Yola!
Very nice!

Catsey Veteran

17-05-2006, 02:04 PM   #5

I have a buffing machine Mags . . .

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
17-05-2006, 02:35 PM   #6

Polished wood is well worth the work. Love wood.

Catsey Veteran

17-05-2006, 03:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hreow
Polished wood is well worth the work. Love wood.
Interesting you say it's wood. I suppose I took it for granted that they looked like the brick paviors that they are, but looking again yes, they do actually look like wood!! Sorry - I should have made it clear what they were

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
17-05-2006, 04:52 PM   #8

With all that polish you better not slip! Looks brilliant. What a lot of hard work.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
17-05-2006, 05:09 PM   #9

I too prefer the original features. I have two original Victorian/Edwardian fireplaces in my house, although two have been removed over time. Would like to go to a reclaimation yard to see if I could get fireplaces that would fit into my house.... maybe in time... when I have some money!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
17-05-2006, 05:32 PM   #10

Thatys really nice Yola, nothing like original floors...