Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
28-03-2006, 05:39 PM   #1

Operation Secret Garden - underway

Well remember I said I was going to take over the "waste ground" for want of a better word next to my house well today I popped into the local garden centre, for something and came out with seeds (for the secret garden) I figure thiswill be a quicker and easier and cheaper was of bringing the ground to life at least for the first year I spent about £12 and got a couple of free packs of seeds too buy two packs and get certain marked packs free.

So this is what we have so far

3 packs of Flanders Poppies you know those lovely scarlet/red poppies that grow in cornfields (remind you of poppy day) so there are approx 2000 seeds in each pack
Burgundy Frills a alternative poppy (with red frilled edges and a yellow eye in the centre) approx 100 seeds in that pack
Wallflowers (to flower next year ) and they are fragrant as you all know appox in that pack
Linum (look like daisy's) colours are crimson, white, salmon approx 130 seeds in that pack.
Pack of Wild Flower mix (meant to encourage wildlife such as butterflies bees etc) approx 1000 in that pack
Corn Marigolds. Bright yellow Chrysanthemums. approx 450 seeds in that pack.
A pack of Mixed Flowers (Tall varieties) between 2-3ft. aPROX 2500 seeds in
that pack.
The two free packs are
Poppies, Double Tangerine Gem (bright orange) approx100
Godetia Shamini (semi double flowers of deep rose with soft pink edges) approx 250 seeds.

My plan is to mix all the seeds togther seperate them into 4 or 5 groups so I can sow them throughtout the spring. Therefore extending the flowering
I am going to mix them with compost/sand and sew them that way just speading over the area what comes up comes up but they are mostly self seeding (hoping they take off themselves)

I have had a word with a lady who looks after the council greenery etc and asked her for another tree and for hr chaps to come and dig it over first and if they have any plants going spare we can have and for them to plant them shrubs etc. She is coming to have a word next week.
So maybe maybe.

Karen

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
28-03-2006, 05:46 PM   #2

Re: Operation Secret Garden - underway

Sounds good Has also given me an idea for our comunal back garden

Catsey Veteran

28-03-2006, 05:47 PM   #3

Give it a go Elaine what the worst that can happen you get surronded by flowers

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
28-03-2006, 05:59 PM   #4

Sounds brilliant Kazz....if you can get the Council to dig it over that will be a good start for you. The seeds sound just the job.....good luck with everything!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
28-03-2006, 06:10 PM   #5

Good luck Karen, after reading that article and site everytime I drive somewhere local and am keeping my eye out for a bits of land that need a spruce up I told the other half about it (he thought I had gone completely bonkers ) and he said "what you are going to go out in the middle of the night and do some gardening???" lol lol we will see. We have got a parameter piece of land that stretches across the bottom of our garden, and I sprinkled about 1,000 poppy seeds down there at the weekend I will see if they come up

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
28-03-2006, 06:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz
Give it a go Elaine what the worst that can happen you get surronded by flowers
I'm quite exctied by that prospect Kazz

Catsey Veteran

28-03-2006, 06:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaG
Good luck Karen, after reading that article and site everytime I drive somewhere local and am keeping my eye out for a bits of land that need a spruce up I told the other half about it (he thought I had gone completely bonkers ) and he said "what you are going to go out in the middle of the night and do some gardening???" lol lol we will see. We have got a parameter piece of land that stretches across the bottom of our garden, and I sprinkled about 1,000 poppy seeds down there at the weekend I will see if they come up
That was their idea I think Emma, Ifigure if every 5th person does something I mean what will it cost? seeds cost next to nothing and some come free on magazines etc.
I told my sister and she thinks I'm bonkers well more bonkers than normal, and I hadn't mentioned the night time gardening at that point.

Although, before I'd seen the article my Dad had and said to my Mom "Thats what Karen would do"

I hope your poppies come up - and poppies self seed

And Elaine what else could happen good on ya give it a go. Join the nutters me and Emma.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
28-03-2006, 06:51 PM   #8

wow, sounds great and I am sure pletny of people will appreciate it

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
28-03-2006, 07:08 PM   #9

I've got some spare flower-seed if anyone else is keen to ninja a garden. Mostly poppy, some peppers, some random flowers. About ten packets in all, off magazines and free with other seed orders. I only have planting-right to a set of tubs, and they're all bursting with things, so no space left.

Kazz: Linum? To make your own linen from? Or am I barking up the wrong tree...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
28-03-2006, 10:18 PM   #10

Hreow, she could if she were "sow" inclined...ooh, bad pun Garden Linum is flax & a gorgeous shade of blue; have grown it; easy. The poppies will be stunning; see if you can find some larkspur seed also; the blue is great wth poppies & also re-seeds. Are we going to see Before & After oicies???