Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
06-03-2006, 12:27 PM   #1

Litter training Princess Freya

The new litter tray has not even been used tow ee in! despite being behind the curtain.

I am wondering if she has been allowed out of the house, as she goes to the loo right by the front door everytime.

HAve read somewhere you can try filling litter box with sand, so soon as i can find somewhere enar me that sells it i'll get small bag to try.

I ahve been listening out for the tell tale newspaper rustling, and picking her up and putting in her litter tray, with the poop on the floor, that doesnt seem to be having any effect.

the only thing I can think of is either she was allowed out before OR she doesnt like the type of litter we use.

I dont know why she hasnt even used the NEW litter tray,.

going to find a cardboard box to put over it to enclose it.
Ordered worlds best litter friday, so it should be here by end of week, as did a bank transfer and that takes 3-5 days to clear.
Am hoping she lieks that.

we tried putting nothing but newspaper in the litter tray, that didnt work,and ahve so far tried netto cat litter ( hated it, mostly dust, smells bad really quickly and doesnt last long) catsan, i liked but PF didn't, and fussy puss wood based, which lasted longer than netto but not as long as catsan.

All the reading i do tells me the same things over and over, and i have tried them all

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
06-03-2006, 12:38 PM   #2

Re: Litter training Princess Freya

You could try some earth from the garden in a tray? She's a bit of a little b****r with her toileting, isn't she?

Catsey Veteran

06-03-2006, 12:47 PM   #3

we dont have much earth in the garden, mostly stones, but it worth a shot, and yes she is a bit of one lol

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Moggies
06-03-2006, 12:50 PM   #4

Hmm, I have never had probs litter training a cat - even the ones who have been living on the street know how to use a tray. I know you can cage ferals to get them used to using a litter tray though. IF she has been allowed outside, it is quite worrying with her being unneutered.

Catsey Veteran

06-03-2006, 01:39 PM   #5

she uses the tray but not for pooping in.
i was told she was an indoor cat, but wondered if she had been let out as she goes by the front door all the time, but this may also be because it's the darkest palce in the house.

maybe she doesnt like the litter

Catsey Veteran

06-03-2006, 03:11 PM   #6

ok, we're on plan E now!

have filled the tray up with dirt fromt he garden. Our garden ahd a lot of stoens in the earth, so I hope she doenst mind.
No sign of Princess yet, so we shall see how the day progresses, fussy thing she is!!!

Sadly Missed

Cats owned: Moggie
06-03-2006, 04:51 PM   #7

Have you thought of moving the tray near the front door, not ideal and you'd have to keep the door locked to stop anyone opening it suddenly and sending tray and contents flying. It worked for India, a week after I got her I posted on here cos I thought she was constipated, but found she had been going in a cupboard on the landing (luckily it had vinyl on the floor) I fetched oout an old tray with a lid and put it down in front of the cupboard and it worked. Now she mainly uses the one in the utility Room but the one upstairs remains in place - just in case. Incidently she makes us laugh, she announces she is going to use her tray as she passes through the kitchen and having done so comes racing back tail up- heavy footed- and shouts "I've been", and then waits for praise and a game - cats don't your just love them. Logoes.

Catsey Veteran

06-03-2006, 04:54 PM   #8

thats where i put her litter tray, right where she goes. I even put two of them wall to wall touching to front door, she still went on the floor in front of them.
She doesnt go anywhere else in the hosue and she will wee in them.
She being a fussy puss I guess.
Yet to see if the dirt works!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
06-03-2006, 05:17 PM   #9

Garden compost or peat might work. Only as a stop-gap though. Get her used to that (if she'll use it) then put some peat/some litter, then more litter/ less peat, etc.

Catsey Veteran

06-03-2006, 08:23 PM   #10

well she doesnt like the mud, still pooped on the floor