Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 of the most gorgeous moggiebeasts
06-03-2006, 12:10 AM   #1

Getting cats into carriers.

Sorry for posting two threads in the same fifteen minutes, but I thought this one would fare best on its own as it may come in handy for countless others who face this struggle regularly.

On Tuesday I want to take Ninja to the walk-in at the nearby vet clinic (10.30-11.30), so I'll need to get him into his carrier. At the moment, it's being cleaned out and when I'm done with that (in half an hour or so) I'm going to put it on the ledge by his safe space so he can sniff around and get used to it. I'm going to put a towel in it or him to snuggle down on.

Now I have three options - let him have his breakfast before putting him in it and taking him away, put him in it then feed him breakfast when we get home, or use the breakfast to get him in it.

My question is this: Would any vet think I was weird if I brought a cat in a carrier with an empty foodbowl in it?

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Moggies
06-03-2006, 12:53 PM   #2

Re: Getting cats into carriers.

I Am sure they have seen worse - mine have raised eyebrows at the bag of catnip in the carrier!!

Catsey Veteran

06-03-2006, 01:02 PM   #3

BT. I'll have to explain Ninja to the vet anyway (he might try to take the guy's arm off, he's done that with my housemate before although it was sort of justified).

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
06-03-2006, 02:12 PM   #4

I wouldn't worry about the empty food bowl and the vet. However, consider that putting Ninja's breakfast in there and effectively 'trapping' him using something he trusts might mean a bit of a backward step in the relationship building. I'd rather let him have his breakfast and then put on some body armour and try and reverse him into his carrier.

Catsey Veteran

06-03-2006, 02:40 PM   #5

Yola, that's a good point (and also why I'm not letting him have his meal in there a few times before effectively trapping him in it). I feel like a right plonker to begin with. The problem is, I can't figure out whether it'll be a bigger violation of his trust to use breakfast (in a place where he never gets it otherwise), or to use my body, which he's having far more trust issues with than the food...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
06-03-2006, 03:01 PM   #6

Hmmm. Snoof I see your dilemma. I think as you can still talk to him and stroke him gently (if possible) whilst maneouvring him into the basket, the body is the lesser of the 2 evils (IMO . . . ).

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
06-03-2006, 03:09 PM   #7

i hope you manage to get him int here ok.
I neer thought of trying catnip to lure them in, good idea!

Catsey Veteran

06-03-2006, 03:12 PM   #8

I guess I could get some catnip... He's not had it before and I could maybe use it as something he only gets in the carrier. It may even mellow him out... Only...

Dishrag used to get really violent on catnip He would hide under my bed then wait for bare feet to appear, run out, shred them, and duck back under. Sweetest, most mild-mannered cat otherwise, but on catnip he was a ball of black fluffy violence

Don't think the vet would appreciate that!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
06-03-2006, 03:15 PM   #9

lol, Mr darcy does that to my feet every night if i get out of bed, but not nasty, just playfull

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
06-03-2006, 06:11 PM   #10

What about letting him have breakfast as normal and then maybe entice him with a few treats in the basket?