Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 of the most gorgeous moggiebeasts
25-02-2006, 02:24 PM   #1

Catflaps.

Ninja's about two, and we're not sure he's ever used a catflap before. In the next few months, we'll be getting two kittens, so we're going to put in a catflap (rather than leaving the kitchen door open and freezing to death ) with a magnetic lock, and put the side that doesn't open unless the cat has a magnet on the inside so Ninja won't have to be stopped from going out (he hates being kept inside) while they have to stay in.

I'm a little worried that he won't get how it works. He's skittish, so it's not like we can just show him - he likely wouldn't appreciate being that close to feet.

I've been thinking maybe we can make the catflap hole in the door and use the door without the catflap in it for a few weeks so Ninja'll be used to using that hole to get in and out, before putting the catflap in. Does that make sense? Am I worrying over nothing?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
25-02-2006, 02:25 PM   #2

Re: Catflaps.

Think that sounds a very good idea - but only when the weather improves!

Catsey Veteran

25-02-2006, 03:17 PM   #3

Until we do that the kitchen door's wide open 24/7 though, DM The conservatory's outside the kitchen door, so atm we humans are just freezing for the feline companion!

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 5 moggies
25-02-2006, 03:33 PM   #4

when I moved to my house I had to teach all my cats how to use a catflap - I had lived in a flat before. I propped the catflap open and left it like that for a couple of weeks - they soon got used to it and worked out how to get back in. I've heard another way is by putting some really tasty meat or fish on one side of the catflap and let the cat work out how to get to it.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
25-02-2006, 08:59 PM   #5

Suggestion for the catflap - when mine were tiny tiny I held the catflap flap bit up for them with a old fashioned clothes peg worked a treat

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
25-02-2006, 10:07 PM   #6

When I had my catflap installed Chloe sussed it out within a few minutes. Over six months down the line, Misty still cant work it out.... so not sure whether you will have any luck or not....

Catsey Veteran

25-02-2006, 11:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz
Suggestion for the catflap - when mine were tiny tiny I held the catflap flap bit up for them with a old fashioned clothes peg worked a treat
Did you peg it to something or did you just use the clothes peg to hold it open a little bit? I'm thinking if I just sand down the edges of the hole, it'll be ok to leave it with the hole and no catflap for a few weeks (better than the open kitchen door anyway ).

Thing is, while Ninja is very smart, he's also very skittish and wary... So I'm worried that if he's not introduced to it gradually he may just decide it's too much fear and uncertainty to be worth it.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
25-02-2006, 11:46 PM   #8

Hi
I have just spent 15 minutes trying to write a reply and can't explain it properly at all I will get a peg and take a picture tomorrow to show you, my advice especially if he's skittish get a clap flap thats clear so he can see through it before he goes out my two treated the see through cat flaps as windows and spent hours just looking out of it mind you they are both daft

Okay one last try to expain.....
A peg in both corners/sides so the flap up in the air on the side that opens outwards ie away from the main part of the house. So he does not think its a trap does that make sense??? so the flap is not above his head - honest he'll get it and get a cat flap that locks 4 ways amazed how useful that is one that locks in the locks out then locks completely then is open.

Catsey Veteran

26-02-2006, 12:01 AM   #9

OHH! So you mean high up on the doors, nearly in the corner between the door and the flap?

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
26-02-2006, 10:48 AM   #10

Cassie took one day to get used to her catflap......it is a clear one (I call it her window! ). It is also a 4 way lock one, same as Kazz described, very useful to avoid other cats getting in.

I just used to hold the flap open for her to go out a few times and she soon got the hang of it.........mind you, I had to do the same thing outdoors until she learnt how to get back in!