Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
23-02-2006, 12:47 PM   #1

Pedigree/pedigree crosses - why?

I seem to be seeing lots of adverts for pedigree/pedigree crosses
Bengal/Burmese
Maine Coon/Siamese**
Birman/Oriental
for instance (all available now, apparently)
I'm wondering - why?
Is the cat world moving to the new dog fad (Labradoodle, Springador etc)?
Will the results of the cross be an improvement on the parents?

I tend to think that the cat world has quite a lot of natural variety and doesn't need this sort of intervention, but I'd be very interested to hear other opinions, particularly from breeders.

** What on earth would these be like?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
23-02-2006, 12:59 PM   #2

Re: Pedigree/pedigree crosses - why?

i dont see that as any different to breeding moggie,s after all they started out as cross breeds.
Further down the line instead of having a birman bengal cross you'll ahve a bit of birman a bit of begalk a bit of soemthing else a bit of another cat.

i think it's all a bit daft really

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: .
Luke is Male
23-02-2006, 02:29 PM   #3

Hmmmn not sure why, but siamese cross Maine coon seem very fetching cats from what i've seen.

Catsey Veteran

23-02-2006, 02:41 PM   #4

oh some of these purbreed crosses are very stunning looking, but surely if the purebreeds are corss bred then they arent purbreeds and as i said down the line we'll end up with tonnes more moggies.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: .
Luke is Male
23-02-2006, 02:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJK
oh some of these purbreed crosses are very stunning looking, but surely if the purebreeds are corss bred then they arent purbreeds and as i said down the line we'll end up with tonnes more moggies.
Oh yes i know this, and don't in anyway dispute it

Catsey Veteran

23-02-2006, 02:46 PM   #6

mind you, there are some gorgeous moggies about!!!!!!!!!

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Moggies
23-02-2006, 09:44 PM   #7

I have major issues with pedigree crosses - they might look cute, but in my opinion, they are not being bred for the right reasons. Responsible breeders will breed to better the breed, and I don't see how people who allow cross breeds can do that, especially when some of the breeds can't be registered as the associations dont' allow those crosses. So, in my opinion, all you are doing is breeding moggies, just ones that are going to be slightly higher in demand cos they can say it is an x cross.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 cats
24-02-2006, 11:15 AM   #8

Probably putting my neck on the block here but anyway - being primarly a dog person but who shares her home with a cat too - I just see it as another way of making money. People always like something a bit different and if it looks either pretty or unusual you are on to a winner. Rescue centres all over the country/world are killing thousands of dogs (and I presume cats) each year but we still keep breeding them I am sure there are a lot of genue breeders who how many more just in it for the money.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll & Moggy
24-02-2006, 11:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke
Hmmmn not sure why, but siamese cross Maine coon seem very fetching cats from what i've seen.
but they will look just like a big moggie, they will not be pointed as MC dont carry pointed colours at all and they will not be long coated as Siamese dont carry the long coat gean both need 2 of each to come though, so if you get 1 that is either long coat or pointed colour they are not what they are said to be

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll & Moggy
24-02-2006, 11:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahsmum
I seem to be seeing lots of adverts for pedigree/pedigree crosses
Bengal/Burmese
Maine Coon/Siamese**
Birman/Oriental
for instance (all available now, apparently)
I'm wondering - why?
Is the cat world moving to the new dog fad (Labradoodle, Springador etc)?
Will the results of the cross be an improvement on the parents?

I tend to think that the cat world has quite a lot of natural variety and doesn't need this sort of intervention, but I'd be very interested to hear other opinions, particularly from breeders.

** What on earth would these be like?

i think its a lot to do with ppl getting pedigree cats that are not on the active reg so no good stud owner will let them use there stud so they will look for any1 that is willing to take there money and they don't care what breed
and the thing is, its easy to say you have a maine coon or nfc if its big and fluffy or a Bengal there not all spotted.