Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
03-02-2006, 10:25 AM   #1

Bummy news

I thought i would move news to the bunnies here,as it's not to do with cats at all.

I just had a friend pop over who breeds rabits. She said sometimes mum rabbit may let you feed the babies from her.
so she got me to hold chelsi (the mommy) carefully on her back, and let the two babies suckle from her. Chesli was as good as gold, sat there, didn't move one bit.
I am so pleased theyve had some of mum's milk, apparantly gives them a much greater chance of making it through.
I have the babies in a blue box inside a cat carrier, just in case mum tries to hurt them, but i have mum in the house, and she hasnt left the box so far. She seems concerned.
I dont know if this means I would be able to trust her with the babies or not.
Maybe she killed the other three cos she couldnt feed them all, or they were sick.

there's hope here yet though. Try fedding them from mommy again later, only thing is i cant tell how much they getting. but it's a great start

Catsey Veteran

03-02-2006, 10:26 AM   #2

Re: Bummy news

woops i just realise i put bummy news not bunny!
cant wiat to get my new glasses lol

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
03-02-2006, 10:31 AM   #3

The only thing about that is, you have already removed them from mum and put your sent on them. Sorry to say this but she probably killed the frist three as you didnt know that they were there and disturbed her. Its her way of protecting them.
If you can get het to let them to suckle then great but I would certainly keep an eye on them. Good luck.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: .
Luke is Male
03-02-2006, 10:38 AM   #4

Like jac says, a doe wouldnt kill her kits without good reason....something must have worried her into doing so.
I would say that it is a risk but as long as she is supervised with them at all times than i would consider it...but MAKE sure they smell of her, her hutch, her nest bedding..if they whiff of you then she may do what she did to t'other three. Ive said a bit more in the PM CJ
The doe has a fair chance of suckling them or even taking them back, i think it would just have too be treated in the manner you do when trying to get a doe already in kindle too foster kits, which often works so theres a fair too good chance here
Fingers crossed for the kits!

Catsey Veteran

03-02-2006, 10:55 AM   #5

She hadn't even built a nest in the morning, i opened door to bedroom to check on her. It was 3 hours later she had made the nest and was going a bit mental.
I didnt touch the bedding in the morning. It is possible she didnt like me looking in, Either way I have her in the indoor hutch with them, but theyre in the pet carrier to so she cant get to them.

There is a new cat in the area, saw it in the garden yesterday, never seen it before.

I dont know, but all i can do now is keep looking after the kits myself and see how she goes with them. If she doesnt take them back but they're ok all is well!

Just hoping they survive

Global Moderator

03-02-2006, 12:20 PM   #6

CJ, you may find this link on raising orphaned bunnies helpful.........

http://www.wbvc.bc.ca/orphaned.htm

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
03-02-2006, 01:09 PM   #7

Keeping them indoors is a good idea (especially as it is so cold) and Mummy bunnie is still near by. She can see them so hopefully she feels a bit better about being separated.

Catsey Veteran

03-02-2006, 03:27 PM   #8

thats hwy i put them near her, so she can be reassured theyre ok, she seems concenred. theyre doing well though, seem so rwiggly lol