Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
29-01-2006, 11:56 AM   #1

i should be happy, but i'm dissapointed

Well, i KNOW i should be feeling happy, I lost 3 pounds this week. But I am a little dissapoineted, thought I might have lost a bit more.

But to be honest I ahvent got back onto my exercise machine since being a little poorly for the past 4 weeks. Plan to start today with that again.

It's a start I know, but with my target of 5 stones to loose (7 by weight watchers) it's a looooooooooongg way to go yet.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 5 moggies
29-01-2006, 12:03 PM   #2

Re: i should be happy, but i'm dissapointed

3 pounds is absolutley brilliant! well done!

remember you can only safely lose 1 - 2 pounds a week after that you are losing muscle not fat. Its much better to have a nice steady weight loss - the best thing tou can do is throw away your scales so your not tempted to keep weighing yourself.

3 pounds is excellant!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
29-01-2006, 12:12 PM   #3

I am trying to loose a bit of weight too so can see where you are coming from. -

3lb is an excellent weight loss & I agree with Emm any more than that is loosing it too quickly.
If you loose 3lb every week for the next few weeks - you'll have lost a stone in just over a month. Continue to do that & you will be nearing your target for summer.

Set yourself small goals - don't just think of the New slim person you aim to be as that is a long way off & is unrealistic at this stage.

But think of the "Slimmer" you that you will be in a months time. Then think towards feeling better about yourself by Easter when you will have lost a fair amount of weight - and so on - until the new slim you is not that far away after all.

Good luck. & please son't be dissapointed, you've done well.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
29-01-2006, 12:21 PM   #4

1lb a week, kept up over a year, is 4 stone off.
A year isn't really too long, and a pound a week is a nice gentle way to go - and as the others say, fat not muscle.
BTW - muscle weighs more than fat, you may lose fat but not actually lose weight, so don't be too fixated on your scales - use your clothes instead - feel that waistband loosening!
Keep it up!

Global Moderator

29-01-2006, 12:26 PM   #5

You are losing weight at the right pace CJ....it is more likely to stay off than if you lose a lot in one go. Well done, keep it up!

Catsey Veteran

29-01-2006, 12:56 PM   #6

thanks everyone. Seems so far away that 5 stones but i agree whats a year? cpmared tot he rest of my life, and the way I am going my gp said I'll be dead before i am 50! ( she's nice though)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
29-01-2006, 01:17 PM   #7

Well Done CJ, 3lbs is brilliant!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
29-01-2006, 01:42 PM   #8

3lb is good. I so far since January have lost 1lb a week. I am not happy with that but suppose its better than putting it on. I only have 1 stone or maybe a bit more so will keep going...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
29-01-2006, 02:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJK
thanks everyone. Seems so far away that 5 stones but i agree whats a year? cpmared tot he rest of my life, and the way I am going my gp said I'll be dead before i am 50! ( she's nice though)
Yes CJ 5 stone is so far away - that's why you are not focusing on loosing 5 stone, you need to focus on loosing half a stone in the next 3 weeks - or something like that, so that's fairly achievable - its not too far away & it means you can see your goal -

Good luck.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 5 x rescue cats
29-01-2006, 04:47 PM   #10

Think about how long it took you to put ON the 5 stone - it didn't happen overnight.

So it ain't gonna go overnight either - if you lose it too fast then your body goes "EEK" and slows your metabolism down so you're burning the calories even slower - which makes it even harder to lose weight. Slow and steady! Regular aerobic exercise (i.e. exercise that makes you out of breath) raises your metabolism - but only if you are eating sensibly as well, or your body will just rebel.

As DM said, muscle weighs heavier than fat - I'm 14.5 stone and need to lose 2, minimum. But no-one ever believes me 'cos I'm 5'9", reasonably fit and still in size 14 clothes.

Good luck and be patient with yourself!