Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: .
Luke is Male
06-01-2006, 08:35 PM   #1

Breeding

We have these sorta discussions on DW all the time, although they usually end up in warefare over there!!!

Just thought it would be intersting to hear your views on breeding cats, whether they be pedigree, crosses, or moggy?

IMO i think if the kittens have homes set up for them prior to the 'mating' and the homes are lifelong good homes, and maybe the person letting their cat have kittens will keep a kitten or two then i think its ok regardless of breeds and pedigree.

Of course it is allways thought of as ethical for pedigree cats to be bred, but if one would go on the principle of cats in rescue centres then one surely coudlnt agree with the breeding of any cat, not just moggys and such, surely?

I also think there is sometimes an exception if it is for the queens mental well being, or otherwise vet advised. Which it can often be, i know of a few people who have been advised to let their queen have a litter of kittens either by a vet or experienced breeder, infact one of those people is on this very board!!!

So lets hear your views, and lets try and keep to CP fashion and keep it friendly

Catsey Junior

06-01-2006, 09:23 PM   #2

Re: Breeding

I don't think I could give any kittens away, I'd end up like a mad cat lady

In Edinburgh there is such a shortage of kittens against demand so I think it depends on the area.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 Moggies
06-01-2006, 09:40 PM   #3

As with all breedings, whether pure bred cat or not, no matter how many people say 'Yes we'll have a kitten' it can end in tears. Circumstances change and that kitten no longer has a home to go to or cannot be kept by the owner.

I do not and have no intention of breeding cats but I don't understand how letting a queen have a litter be advised for 'her mental well being' Also why on earth would a vet, of all people advise anyone to breed from their cat when they are forever encouraging owners to get their pet's neutered/spayed? My vet's walls are plastered in posters with regard to statistics about how many kittens a cat can produce in a single year and the majority of them would probably end up in rescue centres

IMO anyone who considers breeding from their cross bred cat should be encouraged otherwise.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 of the most gorgeous moggiebeasts
06-01-2006, 09:41 PM   #4

I think the main problem is that people get a female cat, don't spay her, let her run loose outside, and then get rid of the kittens as soon as the novelty wears off of them.

I don't mind moggies being bred, as long as the kittens will definitely have homes and as long as the health and temperament of the bloodlines is being kept in mind. Breeding any animal without being able to guarantee (to the extent possible) a long and happy life for them, is irresponsible.

That said, I always say I want a Maine Coon or a Somali, but I can't ever bring myself to buy a kitten I know will have an easier time finding a home when I could go to the rescue and find a cat who's got lower chances of finding a forever home.

Call me spineless

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 of the most gorgeous moggiebeasts
06-01-2006, 09:43 PM   #5

Naomi, while I see your point, many purebred races have congenital disorders or are at high risk of having them, whereas moggies (because of the much lower risk of inbreeding having occurred at any point in the past) tend to have much lower risks of such.

I can see both ways, on this issue, which is why my issue is with people who're badly prepared for a litter and who don't do everything they can to ensure the kittens will have loving, happy forever homes, rather than taking issue with purebreds vs mogs.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 5 x rescue cats
06-01-2006, 09:46 PM   #6

Snoof, I don't think I'll ever have a pedigree either, 'cos I'd feel too bad about all the moggies in rescue centres.

And as I've just caused WW3 on another forum I belong to, I don't think I'm spineless

People value what they have to pay for - of course, some pedigree cats do end up in rescue - but far fewer than moggies. So in some ways, the more restriction on breeding moggies the better. Then if demand for pedigrees or first generation crosses goes up, the rules might be relaxed and prices might come down. I dunno.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Siamese.Maine Coon. moggies
06-01-2006, 09:47 PM   #7

hi luke
when I brought Jazz as a full grown adult female into the house I had real problems with her and my other Siamese girl.... a hierarchy problem. I was advised by a very knowledgeable and reputable breeder that Jazz having a litter of kittens would go a long way to solving the problem. i was a bit dubious as I was worried that it would actually excacerbate the problem...but no, it worked, within two weeks of returning from the Tom the difference was amazing, she was a lot calmer and had a focus, and although there is still the odd 'argument' things still are ok. I honestly think if she hadn't of had the kittens I would have had to seriously think about rehoming her.
I am sure this solution would not have worked for everyone, and in this case there was a waiting list of good homes for the kittens, because I kept two there were people I had to disappoint.
I know the rescues are full of cats and I suppose I only see things from my side of the fence although I do have rescue cats as well, i think if you plan to breed and have homes confirmed for your kittens then fair enough.
Funnily enough when I went to the local RSPCA place for a kitten they refused because I worked full time, I ended up getting Tom from Cats Lifeline...he will be 16 this year.
Anyway I was very happy to have the kittens and I would do it again in the future...pedigree or not...I would try my best to find a good home for all the kittens, and I would always have a contract specifying that if the kitten (at whatever age) was not wanted it would be returned to me.

ooh did I ramble...?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
06-01-2006, 09:48 PM   #8

Quote:
I do not and have no intention of breeding cats but I don't understand how letting a queen have a litter be advised for 'her mental well being' Also why on earth would a vet, of all people advise anyone to breed from their cat when they are forever encouraging owners to get their pet's neutered/spayed? My vet's walls are plastered in posters with regard to statistics about how many kittens a cat can produce in a single year and the majority of them would probably end up in rescue centres
Spot on! Luke knows I feel this way too, there is no excuse for breeidng Cats to supply a pet market, just as there is no reason to produce more puppies to supply a pet market there. If any Vet is competant enough to recognise an animal has "behaviour problems" it is in my opinion highly unethical and downright irresonsible to even consider putting the poor animal through it, cannot understand anyone that would. What would happen if these problems were passed on? poor kittens, would they all end up in rescue?

Kittens bought as pets from responsible pedigree breeders usually have restriction put on them, a good idea in my opinion, e.g the non active register, kittens thought to be of showing or breeding quality, will be on the active register and are usually closely monitored by the breeders who care about their kittens.
Dawn.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
06-01-2006, 10:06 PM   #9

I never ever considered Cassie having a litter of kittens.....as far as I was concerned I just wanted her for a pet. I am also totally against allowing your pet to have kittens just to make money

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
06-01-2006, 10:52 PM   #10

Luke you know my feelings on this as I told you them when you asked me in a pm just recently. There is no medical or psychological reason why any cat be it pedigree or moggie should have kittens.
I pointed out to you many of the risks involved in letting a queen have kittens and I also said to you that the benefits do not very often outweigh the risks. Any person who breeds cats dogs or whatever has to understand and accept the risk that they could very realistically lose their pet and / or the offspring. Do you know how very difficult to deal with that is? The other side of the coin is...any kitten / puppy what ever you breed you and only you are responsible for for the rest of it's life. That means that you have to have the facility and capability of taking every kitten you have bred back if circumstances so dictate that the new owners no longer want the kitten and bear in mind this applies for the whole of that kittens life so if Elsa has six kittens at some point in the future you could end up with all six back as elderly cats that you will then find it difficult for you to rehome..

food for thought.....

I have to say that in my experience no responsible vet or experienced breeder would encourage or recommend a moggie queen has kittens