Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
05-01-2006, 02:01 PM   #1

Feeding kittens

OK - haven't got them yet but I was wondering what those of you who've had kittens recently have fed and would recommend.
Would like to hear all opinions - can't guarantee to use any of them but I need some ideas, it's been so long since I've had a baby around

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
05-01-2006, 02:08 PM   #2

Re: Feeding kittens

Claude and Clooney had both Whiskers kitten meat and Whiskers kitten biscuits. I did try James Wellbeloved kitten biscuits but they wouldn't entertain those

My new baby's breeder uses Royal canin...

Catsey Veteran

05-01-2006, 02:12 PM   #3

Thanks Fran
Maybe things haven't changed so much then - I used Whiskas kitten all those years ago! But it came in little half-size tins; is it still in tins or has it moved to pouches now too?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
05-01-2006, 02:20 PM   #4

I think it comes in both DM. I used the little half sized tins. I used to buy a pack of four from the supermarket. I am assuming the pouches will be chunks in jelly and I didn't like the idea of them just licking the jelly off and leaving the chunks. At least with the meat in the tins you know they are eating it all sort of speak...

Felix also do little half sized tins too but I think theirs are chunks in jelly but couldn't be sure

Catsey Junior

05-01-2006, 02:34 PM   #5

Sappho is a felix kitten girl with the odd bit of tuna as a treat. She adores Hills hard pellet food and actually prefers that to the wet food (strange cat )

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
05-01-2006, 03:41 PM   #6

I started Cassie on Whiskas kitten food and she developed the runs. Took her to the vet who said not to give Whiskas kitten food as it was too rich for her system.....he told me to buy the cheap cat food from the supermarket. The day after I switched to it she was absolutely fine again! I kept her on it for a few months, then switched back to Whiskas and found her tum could then cope with it

Catsey Veteran

05-01-2006, 03:53 PM   #7

Thanks everyone - and I hope there may be more postings here.
It's all very interesting. I haven't fed wet cat food for years............mainly because Tizzie is such a 'barfer' and she has been much better on the dry food for bulk, bit of canned tuna for *whatever it is we give things like that for........because we can't conceive of going through life eating just 'biscuit' day after day after day*
So, that's really why I'm asking, I'm not a Whiskas, or any other canned food, fan. It's made with goodness only knows what, they tend to just suck off the jelly or gravy and leave the lumps, and it would mean kits on one regime, oldies on another.

Think I'd better go off to the Burns site and see if they make a kitten biscuit. I can always give them a scrape of tuna or fresh fish or mince with the biscuit.
(I'm confused/unsure, did you guess? Good thing it's taking a while to find them; they'd be sitting here starving whilst I pondered! )

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: .
Luke is Male
05-01-2006, 04:22 PM   #8

all our kittens have allways had the tins of Whiskas kitten food bar Elsa who found it far to rich for her so like Mags, we were advised to put her onto cheaper supermarket kitten food, she was fine and now she can take the whiskas pouches

Catsey Veteran

05-01-2006, 04:30 PM   #9

If kitten bellies can't stand Kitten Whiskas, why on earth don't they re-formulate and call it Whiskas Gentle or something. Sure they could produce it with all the goodies required for the babies to thrive without the rich excesses?
I can remember poorly tums from way back, so it must have been going on for years

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: bengal
05-01-2006, 04:53 PM   #10

After changing over recently to royal canin i would highly reccomend it. Though haven't used the kitten food.