Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: None just now
20-12-2005, 01:01 AM   #1

Help with The Bully cat..

I few months back my son and his girlfriend adopted a beautiful rescue cat... Saffy, she settled really well and apart from bringing 'bird gifts' and leaving them under the bed all has been fine.
The couple both work and they leave a little window open so Saffy can come and go at will.
Not long ago Saffy came home with a nasty bite that required a trip to the vet,a neighbouring cat has started to bully her, this has got progressively worse and the cheeky creature even chases Saffy into the house through the little window.
The other day bully cat chased Saffy cornering her in the bedroom where the poor scared little cat pooed in fear, there was also blood up the wall from (we think) a bite to Saffys ear.
I have suggested shutting Saffy in the house when the couple are out, and maybe spraying bully cat with water but it always escapes before anyone can get near it...can anyone recommend any other way to protect Saffy from bully cat?
Thank you

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
20-12-2005, 01:10 AM   #2

Re: Help with The Bully cat..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini
can anyone recommend any other way to protect Saffy from bully cat?
Thank you
I have a similar problem with a bully cat in my area. My cats are terrified of it. Have tried water too but it is too clever and too fast to ever get caught. ~See my previous thread in Behaviour - Nasty Neighbour - maybe there is something to help there.

As for me, I have installed a magnetic catflap that the bully cat doesnt seem to have breached and my kitties tend to stay in mostly as they scared to go out.

20-12-2005, 01:26 AM   #3

Hi Donna thank you, I will read the post..a cat flap is out of the question i'm afraid because the house is rented... Saffy is quite a small cat, she was rescued from a house with 17 cats and judging from her size may not have been very well fed.This means she has less chance holding her own against the rather large bully cat.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
20-12-2005, 01:53 AM   #4

As Saffy is being bullied and not holding her own would your son and his girlfriend not consider keeping her as an indoor cat. All 8 of mine are indoor cats and are more than happy.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
20-12-2005, 09:59 AM   #5

I have no alternative words of wisdom (many would say I have no words of wisdom of any sort!).
I think Saffy should stay in the house except when her human guardians are in the garden to protect her.
A water pistol (or washing up bottle) is the best/most humane deterrent for the bully.
Good luck

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
20-12-2005, 11:58 AM   #6

A few years ago I would have loaned them Oscar for in his younger days he protected his sister from many a bully cat. But I would say same as the others make her life interesting as an indoor cat and only in the garden when her humans are about she will be happier and so will they. And a cat flap is often the wrong thing for a cat being bullied becase the other cat willthen come into their/your territory. And there must be nothing worse than being hounded in your own safety zone.

Karen

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
20-12-2005, 12:49 PM   #7

Where we lived before, a big tom bullied both my Sam and Leo, they were at the vets a week apart with bites....
My simple solution, next time I saw it in my garden, I let one of the dogs out never seen a cat move so fast!!It never came back again though!!

20-12-2005, 04:57 PM   #8

Thank you for your replies everyone, the reason Saffy is given the option to go out when left alone is because the house is so very tiny, I will suggest again that she is kept in when there is no one around to defend her .

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
20-12-2005, 05:53 PM   #9

Best option for her safety.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll & Moggy
20-12-2005, 06:08 PM   #10

as long as she is litter trained then keeping her in should be fine even in a small places, you might find that she sleeps the whole time that no 1 is there any way.
what you have to remember with cats is that if there not happy then they will move out and find somewhere that they are happy and SAFE, im not saying that she is unhappy there but she soon will be if that cat keeps coming in to her home