Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
11-12-2007, 10:29 AM   #21

Re: cat to rehome

Wow - that is great news! Obviously the soul mate you were looking for! And so strange that Gribouille is doing many of the same things Kitty did

By the way, what does Gribouille mean? Is it French?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
11-12-2007, 10:31 AM   #22

Aww I love a happy ending! Congratulations.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
11-12-2007, 01:16 PM   #23

It truly is unbeleivable who makes these decisions. Your purfect Kitty had to be along soon X Pictures please

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
11-12-2007, 01:21 PM   #24

Congratulations on your new kitten! ......... what a great name you've given her too!

If you have any difficulty posting your pics on Catsey, this link will help you....

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=8195

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: not a pedigree
11-12-2007, 01:41 PM   #25

Hi

Gribouille is French it was a kind of scruffy puppet I don't really remember but if you type it in google search for images and you will find so many cats called the same.

Yes it is unbelievable to see her making herself at home, she already knows her name and she stays with me all the time a real shadow, now she is sleeping on the desk, no care at all.

I will never forget Kitty she was so special to me, but now I really think that there is a kind of reincarnation I don't believe in coincidence, well it's my point of view.
But how many of you heard that a kitten arrived in a strange home and start straight away to give cuddle, purring and sleep and play as if she was born here, it's really strange.

Thank a lot hope you enjoy the photos will send more and keep you up to date.

Joe and gribouille

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
11-12-2007, 05:15 PM   #26

What happy news! I'm glad she's settled in so well and being a little cuddlebug!

Cats owned: 3 moggies
12-12-2007, 10:52 AM   #27

Please excuse my ignorance- but what is a home check and why do you need one to get another cat. Iam assuming that you have to have one so as you can adopt a cat from a shelter- is this correct?
Here in Australia if you want another pet from a shelter or R.S.P.C.A. all you have to do is go in and choose you pet pay for it,fill out the paper work and then it is concidered yours.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: not a pedigree
12-12-2007, 11:32 AM   #28

Don't be sorry you are not ignorant, I rescue Kitty from the street, she was starving and scared, I just tend my hand to her and she run to me I took her home, went to the vet, checked for any kind of identity, placed an advert, but no one asked for her. So I kept her with me.
Then The vet told us that Kitty needs a friend with her as she was loosing her appetite and we tried to adopt one from a rescue center, the welcome we had was awful, no greetings but " I can see you have a child" and " Please be quick it's lunch time soon" So we asked for few of them and none of them were suitable, the lady never asked for our address for a home check, so we looked in the news paper and we bought Lylah, then lylah had 3 babies and we kept Minette. Her brothers are well and happy with their familly. I didn't sell them I refused it. Now my girls have been operated, Gribouille will be as well.

My three cats are well looked after, followed by the vet and get lots of cuddle, TLC everything.

You are right in France it is the same, we go, we choose, we pay whatever we can and we take the cat with us. Now the animals are all chipped so no one can take and abuse the little one.

In England the rescue centers do a wonderfull job, and it's very hard, but as said a lady " sometimes there are weird criteria to select the new familly", we have been really desappointed, because we are good people they would realised that if they bother to come and visit us. There is no 100 % safe home unless you keep them in a prison, but where we are it is a 90 % safe.

Now we have find the perfect baby for me, but even if I keep donate I will never contact a rescue center again.

I hope I didn't offend anyone, I know what it is as we do rescue lizards and sloworm, and we try to find the perfect place when we release the babies and it is very hard, but we go and look.

Thank you for reading and I am sorry I do not critize the hard work of the rescue centers we had two bad experiences and I won't have a third one it's too upsetting to be judged without being seen. In a way we couldn't offer a lovely and loving home to a poor little soul and that more upsetting for me.

Thank you for reading

Joe and Gribouille

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
12-12-2007, 12:02 PM   #29

Joe - we realise you are not criticizing, simply communicating the rather negative experience you have had. There are many shortfalls in the rescue/rehoming system, but people sometimes make the wrong judgements in their assessments of people. However, there are genuinly cats who do not respond well to having a child around, or a dog or even another cat! All these have to be factored in when looking at potential homes.

I have 2 cats. I've had them for nearly 11 years. However, one of the cats is very unhappy as he is nervous and he gets frightened by my two small children. He would be a cat that, if ever rehomed (not that he will be), would have to go to a home without children as it would stress him too much.

However some home checkers - especially those who are older or have not had much experience of children do tend to just refuse families with kids! Daft, but a fact!

Sher - here, increasingly home checks are carried out to assess potential homes and to make sure that the cat/home match is a perfect as possible. I guess it's getting more and more like when you adopt a child!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
12-12-2007, 04:59 PM   #30

Sher, here in the US we have home checks also, to ensure the cat and the family will mesh, so to speak, As others have said, some of the criteria for refusing seem quite arbitrary. I've never used a shelter, my cats were either bought, rehomed from a private individual or found me! But I won't hesitate to use one when the time comes (hopefully many years from now as my Leia ...blue torbie... is only 8 1/2!)