Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
13-08-2007, 04:21 PM   #11

Re: Chloe has forgotten the litter tray exists..

Eeek - lots of questions and I have so few answers - none in fact!
Try keeping them apart when you're not around for at least a week? maybe two? Their smells (normal not pee! ) will be all over the house anyway, so hopefully they won't forget each other.
What does everyone else think?
I'm not sure about the heirarchy and how it could have been better. Sounds like Chloe is a wimp and Misty is a bit of a bully ... their genders are probably immaterial. But remember animals aren't genetically programmed to be kind to each other and to look after the weaker members. Exactly the opposite - if they see off the weakling they get more food, better breeding partners, better living space etc.
A big soft boy as enforcer might work .... but if he didn't you'd have WW3 with 3 cats

More ideas people please!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
13-08-2007, 04:30 PM   #12

But Chloe being the wimp doesnt fit; as she is the one always pouncing on Misty when she walks by. Chloe seems to be the one in charge, but has all these issues....

Its like she refuses to associate herself with the low life that she sees being Misty. Whether it be a room to share, or a food bowl or a litter tray. Chloe will just not lower herself to have anything to do with Misty and will swipe at her when she gets the chance (even though she is quarter of the size of Misty).

Misty is good natured and doesnt fight back hard, usually just a slap with her paw rather than claws showing so has handled the harrassment up to now. She is a bit dim so doesnt really know what is going on I think!

I just wanted a nice happy household, but after three years I have had enough...

Please anyone else have any suggestions???????????? BM has been great and thanks for that, but we have now both exhausted all thoughts!! We need more advice!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
13-08-2007, 06:02 PM   #13

I think you have been given excellent advice already, I so empathise with you, it must be wearing you down, I know it would me I really don't know what else to advise. I'd certainly give the crate a go and try and re-train her. Other than that, perhaps consult an animal psychologist??

Good luck, I do hope you find an answer to your problems..

Catsey Veteran

13-08-2007, 06:05 PM   #14

Thanks Fran, yes it does get me down a lot. I have now soaked my dining room carpet in vinegar solution and will shut Chloe in bathroom area tonight with a new litter tray just for her.

I cant afford an animal psychologist, so I will have to sort her out myself or put up with this forever more.

Catsey Veteran

13-08-2007, 06:19 PM   #15

Donna, just a thought here and I know it's more common in male cats than female ones but have you have her checked for a urine infection? It's a big cause of inappropriate weeing??

Catsey Veteran

13-08-2007, 06:21 PM   #16

Yes, she has had a clean bill of health from the vets Fran.

She did suffer from cystitus once, so know the symptoms of that to look out for, but it is not that...

This is definately a problem that is in her head and nothing else!

Catsey Veteran

13-08-2007, 06:26 PM   #17

Have you tried any Feliway plug-ins Donna? Not an instant cure but can be very helpful with spraying/urinating problems and stress related problems too??

Catsey Veteran

13-08-2007, 06:28 PM   #18

No I havent gone down that route just yet, know this has been mentioned to me on and off for a while with Chloe as this problem has reared up from time to time. It just seems so expensive and there is always something more important to buy - like food!!

I will shut her in with the litter tray tonight and see if she uses it.

One worry is that she will see that she is shut in, with Misty having the rest of the house to run around in - will she think she is being pushed out? Dont want her to feel any more stressed!!

Catsey Veteran

13-08-2007, 06:34 PM   #19

The only other thing I can suggest Donna, is homeopathy. I have used homepathy with great success in the past...and it's not that expensive and the treatments can be tailor made to specific problems...

Catsey Veteran

13-08-2007, 06:36 PM   #20

Thanks Fran, its not an easy one to sort out, of that I am aware - and at the same time I have to take Misty into consideration too.